Deposit is paid on an 80! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
yeeha!

Deposit is paid and plane tickets are bought to fly to Denver to pick up a 1995 FZJ80. My wife, Donna, and I plan to spend about 4 days in Colorado over her birthday before driving back to PA. Definitely plan to visit Slee while we're there! Would like to get step sliders but Christo doesn't think they'll have the next run in stock yet.

Here's the link--I'm sure a few of you have already looked at it . . .

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=123501

We'll be back in time to show up at the January meeting with it.

Stoked! :grinpimp:

Brett

linked from the FS thread

Nice rig.... those panels are aweful straight:grinpimp:

lcexterior003.jpg

Look forward to seeing it at the next meeting:beer:

I gotta keep it :princess: for a little bit or my :princess: might whup up on me!

wait, that might be fun, too. :D

soooo, now to start plans for step sliders, ARB, winch, rear bumper and tire carrier. oh yeah, and CDL switch + Pin 7 Mod, new headlight wiring harness, and a fab cupholder.

Brett

I like the color :D looks familliar :D

Keep lance in mind for 80's stuff!
www.ironpigoffroad.com
I'd rather have a set of east coast sliders.... long debate on that one, but everyone (80 crew) I've wheeled with tends to agree.

Congrats!

Keep lance in mind for 80's stuff!
www.ironpigoffroad.com
I'd rather have a set of east coast sliders.... long debate on that one, but everyone (80 crew) I've wheeled with tends to agree.

Thanks!

What's the difference between the Slees and East Coast? I was looking at the step sliders as a compromise solution to keep the wife happier with ingress and egress on the lifted truck. I was on Iron Pig's site and didn't see 80 sliders listed.

BTW--I'm right up the road from you. I live in Michaux S.F. about 4 miles from Pine Grove SP.

Last edited:
Ah cool! I'm jealous that you're up in the woods there!

As for East Coast, we tend to like our sliders to be step type like you said, and we're more worried about getting them pretty wide as we're constantly using them to keep us away from the nasties.
Our terrain is totally different than Moab and such. Slee's sliders tend to be pretty narrow which means your too close to stuff and get into trouble.

I'm also not a big fan of stuff that bolts around the frame as I've seen them brake and more often slide around on the frame. I've seen a set of Slee sliders back into the rear tires and cause a big issue as now the wheel can't turn :D

Welding them directly to the frame is one option. I actually mounted mine THROUGH the frame. I drilled through the frame, sleaved the opening with DOM, welded both ends to the frame, and the bolts run through the DOM. This way the frame isn't being pinched and I can still take them off if I want. I also don't have anything hanging down to catch on stuff.

I'm not saying Slee's sliders aren't good because they are, but I think something different is needed out here.

BTW--I'm right up the road from you. I live in Michaux S.F. about 4 miles from Pine Grove SP.

Okay--gotcha. I was actually looking at his step sliders which are wider than the standard sliders and double as running boards. Or are you talking wider than that, even?

Is there anyone on the east coast making production sliders or are they all custom fabs? I think I read Iron Pig used to make them but they seem to have stopped?

I wouldn't mind going local for product--I'd rather have a roadtrip than shell out $150 for shipping!

I LOVE my Slee step sliders, as my 80 sees way more family duty than off road duty (about 6-10 off road trips per year). The powder coat is also unique in that the surface has really been durable and non-slip. I will say they have held up perfectly though some of Paragon's low blacks. I have not one complaint with them shifting or moving, etc. I have had several instances where the entire weight of the truck was over the slider in one spot or another. As mentioned, there has been no shifting of the slider, mounting hardware, etc. When I purchased the sliders from Slee over a year ago, I couldn't find another vendor that I thought offered a comparable product.
If I had the decision to make again, knowing what is available, I would buy these again in a second, and pay the money for shipping. HTH

nice new toy!!
maybe i'll see you at the meeting in Jan.

and PS, my brother was right. take me with you :D

Ha! I thought that I knew that email address! too funny!:beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom