Defog switch for aux lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I have a defog switch that I saved in my shop from when I had 80s previously. I don't remember if it came from an 80 or another model, but I think people were repurposing them for CDL switches back in the day. I'm thinking about using it as a aux light switch, to trigger a light relay.

I oredered the Slee headlight and auxiliary harness, and my hope/plan is to have a aux light oon/off switch on the dash, but when they are on, have them only work when high beams are on.

Here's the switch, just need to relabel it.

IMG_0044.jpeg

Looks like it fits the dash slots:
IMG_0041.jpeg

And the backside:
IMG_0046.jpeg

As wired, if it is the same circuit as the 80 defog switch (which it probably isn't, since I have more wires), it seems to switch to ground (trigger the ground leg of the defog relay solenoid).

IMG_0053.jpeg

So the wires might be:
Y (yellow) pin 2 - 12v to illuminate light on switch when engaged
L-G (blue green stripe) pin 6- ground trigger to relay (note, I have a blue with orange stripe, not a L-G)
W-B (white black stripe) pin 3 - body ground

And the two not on that diagram in the EWD might be related backlighting illumination?
green white stripe
green

This diagram seems to focus on the lighting circuits:
image.jpg

Time to bust out the multimeter.

Do you see any holes in this plan?

i think you are on the right track; with the applicable pages from the wiring diagram. but best to test w/ a 12v source and multimeter.

I was able to verify the wires functions with my multimeter just now, and the above speculations are correct for this particular switch.

I will need to see if the Slee harness relay is ground switched when it arrives. If it is + switched, I may need to change it at either the relay or switch wiring so it matches up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom