Death Valley trip looking for input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks @Wompom. I am planning a run from the East Coast to the West Coast with a few days in Moab. Only starting to think about what happens after I leave Utah. Thinking about a run up to the Sierras and then maybe down through Yosemite and / or just cut through DV. Never been in DV before so that makes it more tempting.

I never previously planned to go to DV. Happened to go with some friends. It's very worth it if you can make it down there. Don't be afraid to get out and do some hikes, just plan carefully and stay hydrated.
IMG_20170905_085725573.jpg

There are things you can do during the summer. Go high. Wildrose. Thorndike. Mahogany Flat. Hike to Telescope peak.

That said. Death Valley is stupid hot during the summer. Folks should experience that kind of blazing heat at least once during their lives. Just be smart, carry AND DRINK lots of water. And watch your temperature gauge when driving.

It will be crazy hot in July. Unpleasant hot. I would put your visit off until Fall. Personally, October/November is the best time to be there and even then can be warm down low. And if you don't know the area, it's hard to "stay high", since most of the tourist/quick stuff is in the valley, and the best stuff is off the beaten path.

I guess it's easy to be picky living 6 hours away, but there are other things in California that would be great in July-the north coast, Sierra (kings Canyon, Sequoia NP), Redwood Parks, etc. Even Yosemite is OK if you hike 1 mile from any trail head. The tourists drop off quick.

I guess it's easy to be picky living 6 hours away, but there are other things in California that would be great in July-the north coast, Sierra (kings Canyon, Sequoia NP), Redwood Parks, etc. Even Yosemite is OK if you hike 1 mile from any trail head. The tourists drop off quick.

Agree with this. SOOOOO much rad stuff in the Sierras that's way high up and only open during a short summer window. A lesson I learned only after moving to Seattle, is don't force the seasons. There's rad stuff to do in the dead of summer that will be miserable or deadly in winter and vice versa. Take what the land and mother nature give you. Just my two cents.

Last year in July, DV set a record for highest average monthly temperature. Avg temp for the month was 107 degrees. That's not a daytime-high average, that was for the entire month, day and night!

@Diggs84 , are you planning on going back to do the Cerro Gordo run? I've been wanting to that one again, this time hiking out to Forgotten Pass, beyond the end of the road near New York butte.

I'd love to. There's tons I want to hit out there when I go back. Would also be fun to come back in a dual sport. I figure with the higher speeds, I would be able to see a lot more in a shorter time.

I'd love to. There's tons I want to hit out there when I go back. Would also be fun to come back in a dual sport. I figure with the higher speeds, I would be able to see a lot more in a shorter time.
Cool! I just revived my old dual sport last summer, but it still needs some work. Been wanting to take it to DV, plus I have access to a trailer now too, so maybe it will happen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom