Death Valley in January (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mark and Kevin,
We are planning on going in through North Pass Friday evening and exiting Eureka Dunes / Steel Pass Sunday. We are doing this as we have some stock trucks along.

Kevin,
There are two groups going in on Friday. A morning group and an after work group. I am leading the after work group and we are meeting in Olancha at 8pm. We will then head up to big pine for last gas and then in through North Pass.

If you would like to go in with the earlier group then text me or email me (my user name here at yahoo) and I can give you Sean's contact as he is leading the morning group.

-Randy

Randy;
This link gives a good overview of the coverage. Of course, someone has to be listening on the other end.

http://core.tdar.org/document/38029

I'll monitor all 3 freqs., Mazourka and simplex, on my way in and once in the valley. Joe and I will be coming in Friday late morning from Beatty via the Racetrack and Lippencott Roads.

Good luck, see you there! KF7 HHV

AKA Greg/68LC

Would it be possible for my stock Suburban (it has LSDs) to follow you on what ever trails you will be on coming in from Beaty. It would let me see a lot more of the DV NP.

Sure. The more the merrier. We'll be leaving Pahrump Friday morning around 09:00, PM me a way to get in touch. Either going in or coming back out, company would be fine.

Regards;
68LC AKA Greg AKA KF7 HHV

Kevin,
The trail going from racetrack to saline valley (aka Lippencott Mine Road) has some tight turns that will give you a bit of a pucker factor. If you're okay with a little excitement then you should be fine. I believe that is the route he/they are taking in?

Sure. The more the merrier. We'll be leaving Pahrump Friday morning around 09:00, PM me a way to get in touch. Either going in or coming back out, company would be fine.

Regards;
68LC AKA Greg AKA KF7 HHV

I think I'll go in from the east side on Friday morning with you Greg. I'll be at the junction in Beatty from 9:30 on. I'll have my ham on. Yellow and white '98 suburban.

I leave early tomorrow and will not have a phone, but I will be checking on here whenever I have wi-fi.

I expect I will be able to get a NP pass somewhere on the east side.

Kevin;
Sounds good. Meet you at Eddie World (Chevron Station) around 10am where we can gas up and also top off on surf snacks for the road. I think we pass a fee station on the way, should not be a problem.

My call sign is KF7 HHV, we'll be monitoring the freqs. sent out by Randy (I believe). I'm looking forward to a couple of days out in the desert, we'll keep our eyes peeled for a yellow and white suburban.

AND FOR MARK-
Joe has the synthetic chorizo.

Regards to all;
Greg AKA 68LC AKA KF7 HHV.

sheepdawg will not be joining us in Big Pine; he has pneumonia.:frown:

I inspected philly40's frame repairs yesterday; very sano. If Saline valley road doesn't shake it loose, nothing will.

Randy, please pass my cell# on to Sean so he can update me Friday on the morning group's progress.

sheepdawg will not be joining us in Big Pine; he has pneumonia.:frown:

I inspected philly40's frame repairs yesterday; very sano. If Saline valley road doesn't shake it loose, nothing will.

Randy, please pass my cell# on to Sean so he can update me Friday on the morning group's progress.

Will do Mark. I will text Sean your cell number.

Mark,
I spoke with Peter R (Dynosaur) last night. They are going in via Steel Pass leaving LA in the am. I will check with Seth but I'm not sure if he will join them or go in a different route?

Sean looks like he may be waiting for me and going in with the evening group as he wants to play with the ham radios.

My friend Scott in a stock trailblazer with newish AT tires is going up fri morning and going through north pass.

Doug K with his YJ will be going in the morning. He may be a good candidate to go in with you. I can give him your cell if you like.

Rest are coming in evening with me 90% chance via NP although if someone goes through SP and texts me that it is safe from Chickenstrip then I'll go in SP.

Mark,
I spoke with Peter R (Dynosaur) last night. They are going in via Steel Pass leaving LA in the am. I will check with Seth but I'm not sure if he will join them or go in a different route?

Sean looks like he may be waiting for me and going in with the evening group as he wants to play with the ham radios.

My friend Scott in a stock trailblazer with newish AT tires is going up fri morning and going through north pass.

Doug K with his YJ will be going in the morning. He may be a good candidate to go in with you. I can give him your cell if you like.

Rest are coming in evening with me 90% chance via NP although if someone goes through SP and texts me that it is safe from Chickenstrip then I'll go in SP.

I'm flexible. If Sean isn't going Fri AM then I'll join another group. How do I meet up with Mark?

FJ60Seth said:
I'm flexible. If Sean isn't going Fri AM then I'll join another group. How do I meet up with Mark?

My plan is to meet up with whoever is in the AM group in Big Pine noon-ish and go in via North Pass. If I need to 'hang out' in BP for a bit, that's ok. Just whoever is leading a group, or flying solo, that wants to go in with me, PM me a cell# to check on you. At this point, it looks like I will have Internet access until Friday morning as well.

My plan is to meet up with whoever is in the AM group in Big Pine noon-ish and go in via North Pass. If I need to 'hang out' in BP for a bit, that's ok. Just whoever is leading a group, or flying solo, that wants to go in with me, PM me a cell# to check on you. At this point, it looks like I will have Internet access until Friday morning as well.

Confirmed with Sean, he is going up Fri am. Leaving Crown Valley exit on 14 around 8am ish. Seth and Alf will be along with him. Dave M and Doug K are also going with him. That's a pretty large group so you should be able to get ahold of Sean and go in with them.

-Randy

Live from the chicken strip! Sunny and warm. Using my wife's mobile hot spot!

Thanks Mark... Really. Most of us have to work right now.

Hi guys. What a most excellent weekend. I left Monday at lunch and went out through steel pass and dodecker canyon. Very nice trail. I went past the dune and followed the road back to Scottys Castle. I got tHere around dark and only got one flat tire.

I'm currently dining on Moons over my Hammy at a Dennys in Idaho Falls. Only 12 hours to go. Very much appreciate you making me fell welcome despite my not having my 45 there.

Hi guys. What a most excellent weekend. I left Monday at lunch and went out through steel pass and dodecker canyon. Very nice trail. I went past the dune and followed the road back to Scottys Castle. I got tHere around dark and only got one flat tire.

I'm currently dining on Moons over my Hammy at a Dennys in Idaho Falls. Only 12 hours to go. Very much appreciate you making me fell welcome despite my not having my 45 there.

Thanks for joining us. It was a fun trip.

I too had a great time. and it was great meeting some of the handles I often see here on MUD !!
Mark I think I speak for everyone that attended..
thank you for the great tunes you played....
A camp fire, with good folks, great music under the milky way !!
Epic !!

14+-+22

Last edited:
Just got in a few minutes ago. Tuesday was even nicer than Monday, weather-wise. Sunday night it dropped to 31, but Monday was warm enough that the low only dropped to 41, which helped a lot on Tuesday. 6pm [hour after sunset] it was still a balmy 58!

During a routine check Monday afternoon, I saw a shadow line on my left front motor mount. I don't know if it's broken, but sure enough, the left rear trans mount was loose. I snugged up the castle nut and hoped for the best. The fan didn't hit the shroud the whole way out, so I think it's alright.

South Pass was in the best shape I've seen it in the last 3 years. I too got a flat, and my spare, which is a hand-me-down I had never driven on before, turned out not to be perfectly round.:eek: Even with two stops to deal with the tire, I made it from the springs to pavement in 2 hours 20, my best time ever on an exit.

We all owe a big shout out to Joe for those dutch oven pizzas [yes, there were multiples!] on Saturday night.

And a :eek: for Doug, Tamara and Alex, for pulling ANOTHER all-nighter to get to camp.

Just got home. The weather turned bad in Montana. I woke up this morning in Butte to a dusting of snow and it just got worse all the way home.

Dropped in at Cruiser Outfitters in SLC on the way to get a few items. Very nice shop and Kurt had lots of time for me to show me around and talk cruisers.

Gotta love winter travel in the north.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom