Death Valley in January (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So...

Rob Ford, I'll see what he's up to. I'd hate have him stopped at the border though. He's got a bit of a rep up here.

Double double, might be cold by the time we meet up, but I could bring a 1/2 kilo of Tim's coffee beans and brew up a pot on the trail if you want.

And I'll have an empty seat on the way home for Justin, but again, the border. He's got a rep too.

Facebook, aah I think I'll pass. JK. I'll check it out.

Oh yeah, I'll most likely be solo so if someone wants to ride shot gun they can. I'm used to hanging with geologists as well.

Mark, Im installing a Dyno rebuilt TC right now and hope to be rolling by the end of next week.. Planning on leaving on the morning on the 24th..... Peter is also thinking of joining us..it would be great to ride with yah Mark.

Kevin I would love a double double from Tim Hortons eh !!

Looking forward to this !!

Same here! FWIW, I'm thinking of staying on thru the 29th, weather depending. :sun:

And Seth, I thought we settled this at the meeting; I prefer smoke signals!:flipoff2:

Same here! FWIW, I'm thinking of staying on thru the 29th, weather depending. :sun:

And Seth, I thought we settled this at the meeting; I prefer smoke signals!:flipoff2:

I'll be there for the Monday night, the 27th, and I'll hit the road on Tuesday.

When you say smoke signals, is that code for a cigar?

When you say smoke signals, is that code for a cigar?

Nope; just one more reference to my retro-grouch status.:p

Do you like to hike? I would like to organize a half-day hike into one of the canyons on the west side of the valley, Mclvoy or Beveridge. Ideally, if the group packed early on Sunday with plans to drive out either North or South Pass, we could all drive out to the main road, hike one of the canyons for a couple of hours, then those that were leaving could head on their way, while the rest would mozy on back to the springs.

I say ideally because in reality, no one ever seems to get moving early on Sunday morning, and the usual MO consists of a lazy breakfast that lasts til 10am or later, packing until noon, and then a blast out of the valley, with everyone having excuses to rush back home to wax their surfboards or something.:roll eyes:

Maybe a Monday hike would be better.:)

Hi 45kevin,
My friend Sean and I will have 50W ham mobiles running with APRS. pm me your phone number and email and we'll shoot you some directions, places to crash/stay, and the HAM channel(s) we plan on using.

-Randy (trip planner)

Hi Mark, I'd be up for a hike. I'll bring some boots and a pack.

Randy, check your PMs.

Hi 45kevin,
My friend Sean and I will have 50W ham mobiles running with APRS. pm me your phone number and email and we'll shoot you some directions, places to crash/stay, and the HAM channel(s) we plan on using.

-Randy (trip planner)

Got an invite from a bearded stranger today, it sounds like a good trip. If I may be so bold as to suggest, I've used Mazourka Peak, 146.760-, PL of 100 around and in Saline. Works from the Nevada side, anyway. 146.52 and 446.00 work for simplex once you're in the valley. If Doug shows up, we can have a hamfest!!

Cheers!
Greg (68LC)

Got an invite from a bearded stranger today, it sounds like a good trip. If I may be so bold as to suggest, I've used Mazourka Peak, 146.760-, PL of 100 around and in Saline. Works from the Nevada side, anyway. 146.52 and 446.00 work for simplex once you're in the valley. If Doug shows up, we can have a hamfest!!

Cheers!
Greg (68LC)

Thank you for the confirmation on the Mazourka Repeater. What areas in Saline valley does it work? Up steel pass, south end near grape vine, etc?

Any info will be nice to help plan the communications since we are mostly new HAM operators.

Thank you for the confirmation on the Mazourka Repeater. What areas in Saline valley does it work? Up steel pass, south end near grape vine, etc?

Any info will be nice to help plan the communications since we are mostly new HAM operators.
Randy;
This link gives a good overview of the coverage. Of course, someone has to be listening on the other end.

http://core.tdar.org/document/38029

I'll monitor all 3 freqs., Mazourka and simplex, on my way in and once in the valley. Joe and I will be coming in Friday late morning from Beatty via the Racetrack and Lippencott Roads.

Good luck, see you there! KF7 HHV

AKA Greg/68LC

Randy;
This link gives a good overview of the coverage. Of course, someone has to be listening on the other end.

http://core.tdar.org/document/38029

I'll monitor all 3 freqs., Mazourka and simplex, on my way in and once in the valley. Joe and I will be coming in Friday late morning from Beatty via the Racetrack and Lippencott Roads.

Good luck, see you there! KF7 HHV

AKA Greg/68LC

Greg,
Thank you for the link. I'll take a look. I will let the early am group going in about your route in through lippencott and your repeater reference. pm me your email and I'll have sean send you the simplex channel(s) we plan on using.

What rig will you be coming in with? What rig does your friend have?

-Randy

Saline

Randy -
Sounds good, and thanks for organizing this mess. Both Joe and I recently sold our FJ40's, so we'll be car-pooling in my 100 series. I hope the diamond lane on Lippencott has not washed away.

When you email the freqs., please include some call signs as well. Mine is KF7 HHV. Looking forward to meeting the group, see you then.

Regards;
Greg AKA 68LC

Since there are gonna be a few newbs on the trip, a few reminders

1. BRING FIREWOOD! If you're coming up from L.A., I have several crates of firewood you are welcome to carry in, and I will take the empty crates back with me. Just make arrangements with me before Wednesday next week and I'll bring as much as needed into work.

2. Saline étiquette is to bring more bleach and toilet paper than you will need and leave some behind. TP is for the vault toilet. Bleach is to help with hot tub maintenance [tubs are drained every 2-3 days]. This does not mean that everyone needs to bring a bottle of bleach, but it would be nice if at least two people did. I will be hauling in at least 6 crates of firewood myself [staying 5 days]and have to drop off some stuff on the way north, so I would appreciate someone else stepping up on this.

3. Randy had mentioned the possibility of pooling resources to save some duplication. I have heard nothing else in this regard. I can bring a 5 gallon bottle of propane and a two burner stove [I usually just bring a single burner] if you guys want. Again, let me know by next Wednesday.

Mark,
Thanks for the offer on firewood. I have my 62's dash completely removed and just reinstalled the heater core.

I can stop by your house on my way home from work to grab firewood to distribute to my friend in his F350 Longbed. I also have some oak so I will be carrying a few bundles too. Please call me at your convenience to arrange time for me to pick up crates.

Regarding Stoves: Tittus and my friend Jeff are bringing one each so that should cover us for the weekend. I will verify that Tittus is not going to bail on us (has happened often). If he bails I will bring my two burner stove. This will give us 4 burners for the weekend which is plenty for cooking duties. My friend Jeff has a table which he is bringing too so that will help in the kitchen area.

Bleach and TP:
This is a big club trip and we will be using more resources at the hot springs than normal. I will make sure we bring 2 gallons of bleach and a pack of TP.

I'm bringing as much sh*t as I can: firewood, 2 burner stove, propane. I saw a request for plastic spray bottles and wheel bearing grease (wtf?) so I plan on bringing those to donate.

I'm bringing as much sh*t as I can: firewood, 2 burner stove, propane. I saw a request for plastic spray bottles and wheel bearing grease (wtf?) so I plan on bringing those to donate.

The spray bottles are used to spray bleach on the hot tub to clean it. I assume they are used to clean the pit toilets too.

Wheel bearing grease? Not sure why they need a lot of that but maybe Lizard Lee just needs some?

My friend Brian will bring TP and my friend Teresa will bring 1 gallon on bleach. I'll find another person to bring a second gallon of bleach or I'll bring it myself.

Hey Mark, if you have a 45 heater fan resistor that you want to sell bring it along. I'll buy it.

I don't think I can bring firewood across the border, but I'll find enough for a fire in Montana somewhere.

Looking forward to this trip. I just put cruise in my suburban so the drive will be more comfortable than usual, and I won't be dragging the 45. It is still hurting from the trip across the Rubicon.

It looks like the temps are going to in the 80's in CA and above freezing all the way so I'll be bring a few jugs of WVO to burn.

Are we camping at the same spot for the whole time? And where?

68LC said:
Randy -
Sounds good, and thanks for organizing this mess. Both Joe and I recently sold our FJ40's, so we'll be car-pooling in my 100 series. I hope the diamond lane on Lippencott has not washed away.

When you email the freqs., please include some call signs as well. Mine is KF7 HHV. Looking forward to meeting the group, see you then.

Regards;
Greg AKA 68LC

Greg

Great to hear Joe is coming. Tell him to bring some of that awesome soyrizo he made up the time that character with the Davy Crockett hat was with us. The one who brought a surfboard and a set of golf clubs to Saline! :rolleyes: I think that was 2005.

Kevin

It sounds like the firewood is going to be covered by all the 'locals' so you can save the room for more important things :beer:

My plans are to camp at the springs for the duration of the weekend. Randy's group, coming in late Friday will camp at Eureka Dunes Friday night and d rive in to the springs on Saturday. The thought occured to me that if Greg and Joe leave for home via Lippencott and the Race Track, you might want to follow them and see some other parts of our huge NP while you're down here.

Good news for me on the firewood deal Mark. Thanks.

Randy, I will be getting to the area sometime Thursday. Were should we meet on Friday and what time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom