Death Valley in January (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
I am slowly firming up plans to lead a run into Death Valley in January. This is based on discussion that started, as usual, around the campfire in Panamint Valley. More details at the Christmas Party.:)

We scheduled for the weekend of Jan 24th. Lots more activity on Facebook than here.

I suppose I am going to have to work on that 'Facebook' thing. Aargh.

Mark,
A run has been set for the weekend of Jan 24th. Danny and possibly Seth will be leaving Thursday.

I was on a caving trip a few weeks ago and met a cool guy who did his thesis on geology in the Panamint Range. I scheduled this run based on his schedule so we will have a guest geologist with us.

Ha has never gone through Steel Pass. Current plan is to drive up to Eureka dunes Fri night, springs on Sat via steel pass, then exit north or south based on conditions.

The other option is to go all the way to the springs and arrive late fri, drive out ot the dunes and back sat, then exit saline sun.

These plans will be firmed up at the Jan meeting.

If you have any real time condition updates on north or south pass that would help quite a bit.

I am expecting around 15 people in 7 rigs.

We probably will join yah guys...
BTW coming down steel pass after the sun goes down is no fun.....
If the wind is blowing as it usually does, then Eureka Dunes will be a challenge...
Any options on camping higher up on Dedekera Canyon to be shielded from the wind ?
I know is too early, just throwing ideas out there.
I take it chains are in order ?

We might also head out this month to check things out..
I will let you know if we do and what conditions are like, but will def want to join on the 01.24th

We probably will join yah guys...
BTW coming down steel pass after the sun goes down is no fun.....
If the wind is blowing as it usually does, then Eureka Dunes will be a challenge...
Any options on camping higher up on Dedekera Canyon to be shielded from the wind ?
I know is too early, just throwing ideas out there.
I take it chains are in order ?

We might also head out this month to check things out..
I will let you know if we do and what conditions are like, but will def want to join on the 01.24th

Frank,
I cannot comment on tire chains yet as the conditions are unknown for February. If you have lockers then the only need for chains would be ice. If you have no lockers and don't have large tires then I'd recommend chains.

I have wheeled the pass in high snow ~2ft with my stock cruiser years ago with chains.

Regarding the wind. I have had one crappy trip due to wind with all others quite nice. It all depends again on conditions.

Where is Dedekera Canyon?

Dedekera Canyon is the little canyon that you get into as you leave the Eureka Sand Dunes behind...
I hear yah on conditions dictating how the trip will turn out....
I'll join in as it seems you guys bring the no wind weather with you.....

Dedekera Canyon is the little canyon that you get into as you leave the Eureka Sand Dunes behind...
I hear yah on conditions dictating how the trip will turn out....
I'll join in as it seems you guys bring the no wind weather with you.....

Frank,
It will be great to have you on the trip. I am undecided at the moment as to whether or not to drive straight in to the hot springs fri night and then do a trip out to eureka for the day.

Depending on when people are going up and who wants to canyoneer / relax and do geology. Anouk and I will be relaxing and doing the geology with a small hike perhaps. I may shuttle people to a canyon if needed.

I have a BLM land use meeting in Ridgecrest on Thursday the 23rd in the evening. That being the case, I will probably stay the evening in Ridgecrest, then come in South Pass Friday morning, with plans to stay thru Monday or Tuesday. Weather depending, I also have the use of a travel trailer in Darwin to get me closer to the valley Thursday night.

My backpacking friends are still rumbling about making a run thru Goler to Striped Butte that weekend, so I may end up a bit south of y'all. Too soon to tell yet.

FJ60Seth said:
Let me know when you get a FB account so I know when to sell my stock :)

I've looked the site over with Tina,and after further consideration of the peculiar issues I have with avoiding business-related communications on the Internet, I've decided to take a 'pass' on Facebook.

So you're safe:p

I've looked the site over with Tina,and after further consideration of the peculiar issues I have with avoiding business-related communications on the Internet, I've decided to take a 'pass' on Facebook.

So you're safe:p

Last time I checked, IH8MUD and your website use the internet.

Last edited:
Frank, when are you planning to head up there?

Sean, Jose and I are tentatively planing to leave Friday AM. Does anyone else want to caravan with us? Mark - I heard from Randy that you'll be driving in through Steel Pass. If so, do you know when?

Last edited:
I'm currently not too busy and looking for a road trip.

If you are open to strangers, would a Suburban be appropriate for this expedition? I'm not too keen on driving the 45.

I'm thinking of some light wheeling and warm weather camping, and maybe a day or two at ski resorts that are along the way.

I'm currently not too busy and looking for a road trip.

If you are open to strangers, would a Suburban be appropriate for this expedition? I'm not too keen on driving the 45.

I'm thinking of some light wheeling and warm weather camping, and maybe a day or two at ski resorts that are along the way.

Kevin, you are welcome in my camp any time.;) Just leave those Chicksey Dicks CDs in Canada!:p

Suburban shouldn't be any problem assuming we're taking the North Pass in. Keep your eyes peeled on deathvalley.com for updates on road conditions, as well as the DV National Park website. If weather sours, we may have to go in via Steel Pass, which is a little challenging, but doable.

Right now it looks like one group will head in to the springs from Big Pine midday Friday, while a second group will overnight at Eureka Dunes and drive in Saturday.

We'll update as the weather reports get more accurate.:rolleyes:

Thanks Mark.

So I guess I'll have to be hanging out in Big Pines around noon on Friday (Jan 24) looking for Cruisers. I'll can stay camp for the weekend and Monday night as well. If I hit the road on Tuesday it will get me home on Wed which will go well with the :princess:.

What is our route? I've been looking at google earth and other maps to get familiar with the ares. What HAM channel do you guys use?

My 'burb has LSDs and I have chains for deep snow or ice.

Anyone need anything from Canada?

This all hinges on me not getting a new job in the next two weeks. Here's hoping.

Thanks Mark.

So I guess I'll have to be hanging out in Big Pines around noon on Friday (Jan 24) looking for Cruisers. I'll can stay camp for the weekend and Monday night as well. If I hit the road on Tuesday it will get me home on Wed which will go well with the :princess:.

What is our route? I've been looking at google earth and other maps to get familiar with the ares. What HAM channel do you guys use?

My 'burb has LSDs and I have chains for deep snow or ice.

This all hinges on me not getting a new job in the next two weeks. Here's hoping.

Welcome cruiser brethren. Yes join us. As Mark said, our route will depend on weather/road conditions. We could enter from South Pass, which originates south of Big Pine, in Olancha, at the intersection of Hwys 395 and 190. South Pass is a moderately easy road but occasionally gets heavy snow. We could enter from North Pass, which is the easiest road, but gets the most snow. We could enter from Steel pass, which gets the least snow, but is the most challenging, although you should be fine with your Suburban.

There is a much more active conversation about this trip on Facebook in the TrailCrew 4x4 group. If you can't find it, pm me your email address and I'll send you an invite. Mark won't be on FB but you can always send him a carrier pigeon.

Most of us are new to ham. We haven't chosen a simplex frequency yet, but I'll let you know what it is when we decide.

Can you bring Rob Ford with you, and take back Justin Bieber‎?

Last edited:
Frank, when are you planning to head up there?

Mark, Im installing a Dyno rebuilt TC right now and hope to be rolling by the end of next week.. Planning on leaving on the morning on the 24th..... Peter is also thinking of joining us..it would be great to ride with yah Mark.

Kevin I would love a double double from Tim Hortons eh !!

Looking forward to this !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom