Death Valley in January (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mark, I came across this on the expo site...
Do you know anything about it ?

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/121877-Saline-Valley-Warm-Springs-Management-Plan-EIS

Frank, the link does not work for me. I think you have to be a member or something.:meh:

Regardless, the NPS has me on their mailing list. I responded to their initial public outreach last year with a lengthy comment letter, and am fully engaged in this process. I was originally contacted by SPA [http://salinepreservation.org]regarding my help on a potential joint management MOU [memorandum of understanding] a year and a half ago. I have challenged all of their board members, all of whom are friends of mine, to answer some hard questions which they have yet to respond to.

I received an e-mail from the NPS on their latest summary of alternatives on Thursday night while I was in Rigdecrest, downloaded it to my iPad, and actually mentioned it to a few folks as soon as I got to the Springs.

Here is a link to both the preliminary alternatives and a comparison table:

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=297&projectID=39438&documentID=56823

I think it is VERY IMPORTANT to note that the Park Service has left the door open for a wide range of comments based on the fact that this is only a PRELIMINARY list of alternatives. I think at this point we are still free to make comments mixing and matching elements of ALL of the alternatives, rather than just weighing in on which one we like the best. A few examples.

Most people can agree that completely unrestricted use will leave the NPS liable to potential lawsuits from greenies, and that numbered campsites may help buffer effects on the largest weekends, showing the NPS is trying to do 'something'. Right now, that is only offered in three of the five alternatives. I don't think it is inappropriate to ask that it be added as a component of a slightly modified no-action alternative, if that's the way you feel, without giving up ground on other things you care about.

Likewise, all alternatives BUT the no-action alternative call for Lee to dismantle his emergency repair facilities because they are not OSHA compliant. I don't see any reason why, if you otherwise like one of these alternatives, but think Lee should still be able to help people, you can't ask that this component be removed from the alternative.

Ultimately, every single individual who cares will have to write their own letter. The NPS has explicitly stated that they will not accept comments from organizations, or letters written on behalf of others.

I can discuss this more at the meeting if you like.:)

The hot springs is a place we go every year and we should talk about it at the meeting. It is very important to our club. I have gone every year since I purchased my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom