Dead Throttle For 7/8 Of Travel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time poster (poser), long time stalker....

I just finished a timing belt service (1999 Land Cruiser 4.7) that I did myself. I followed a three part video from 1Aauto that is posted on YouTube. I know, I know, please don't destroy me for this. Things went relatively well for the most part. As far as the timing belt service, things seem to be OK. After topping off the fluids I was able to start the unit without any problem. Runs smooth and cool. It idled for a while with no issues and no check engine light. Until.....

A few notes of things I ran into during the job. I cracked the coolant bypass pipe. As a result, I needed to remove the throttle body in order to get this part off. I also removed the fuel line that connects to both sides of the motor. I realize now that I didn't need to remove the fuel line. I did make sure the proper washers were installed when i put it back on.

I suspect the issue I have stems from how I handled the throttle body. I left the throttle line connected when I removed it. As a result, the line was fully stretched (throttle open?) for a couple of days. When I re-assembled everything, everything seemed good. After the vehicle idled for a while, I pressed the throttle pedal. The pedal travels about 7/8's of the way before anything happens. Once floored, it's WOT. As soon as I let off, the rpm comes down to about 1800. It's at this point the check engine light came on. I shut the truck off, then re-started it. Without touching the pedal, the rpm slowly worked up to about 2000. I shut the truck off again and waited a bit. Once started, it idled fine until I messed with the pedal again. Same results--7/8's travel without anything, then WOT, release pedal, then 1800 rpm.

With the vehicle running at idle, I played with the throttle at the throttle body. Same thing. I can move it about 7/8's without anything. I can feel a difference once I get to that point. I wouldn't say it's stiff, it just has more resistance. I push it all the way, it goes WOT. Let off, 1800 rpm.

The truck runs smooth. I can't check the code--I don't have the reader and the truck is un-drivable, so Autozone is out of the question. Does anyone have an idea of what I've screwed up? I did the timing belt job myself as a way to save some dough. I hope I don't just blow what I saved.

Thanks, Rich.

Soooo.....I'm a little ashamed to admit what happened here, but I thought I better report. When I started to tear things apart so I could figure out what was what, I immediately found my problem. I made the mistake of dropping a small bag of parts in the intake tube during my timing belt tear down. I forgot about that bag. After assembly, that bag was sucked up into the throttle body. I dodge a major bullet as the bag hadn't made it all of the way through.

So, self inflicted would. And yes, things are running great now. I'm working on changing my name.....

LOL..I am not laughing at you..I am laughing at your sense of humor.
Thanks for posting.
Believe me. I made some mistakes that I don't even have enough cojones to post.
Glad you found the issue.

Better to find the mistake yourself that get it towed and have someone else find it!
Glad you got it fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom