De-Smog or not to De-Smog ? (1 Viewer)

De-Smog = Good Idea ?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 82 fj40 was a Southern California vehicle and was legal by their smog standards.

In Alabama, we have fewer cars and less pollution. Hence, no smog standards are in effect or at least enforced.

If you are an environmentalist that believes in anything more than Treadlightly, I ask you to please refrain from posting. I simply do not care for your opinion.

Basically :

1. Has anyone taken the desmog apparatuses off of an FJ before?

2. Does this release more horses and if so how many?

3. Improve mpg?

4. Does it sound Different?

5. Or does it make it more efficient ? or just reburn exhaust ?

i am a little confused on this topic so thanks
thanks,
tylerp

Con's
====
Lower the value if you sell it in the future

Minuscule difference to the environment but I would think about it everytime I fired it up

Time could be used someplace else either on the car or elsewhere

Risk of a potential gotcha (no clue what it could be but /shrug)

Pro's
====
Performance increase probably less then 0.5%

If it was me I would pass

Pro: It's just easier top work on an un-emcumbered 2F than a smog-legal 2F. A de-smogged 2F is a beautiful engine... smog-legal, it's hard to see.

An 82 Fj40 is a rare bird and pretty desirable, I would be reluctant to to kill the value with a desmog, especailly the usual halfassed butchery we usually see in these threads. Unless it's done very well with carb rebuild, proper removal of the air-rail and distributor re-curve, it will be a hack job and no serious buyer will consider your truck in the future. Additionally, many states are now smog states, and so you have considerably shrunk your pool of potential buyers.

With that said, if you are willing to take the time and money to do it right, and plan to keep the truck forever, and you are sure your state will never require smog, it does clean up the engine and make it easier to tune. It will not be any more powerful.

Since it costs money to do right, and it doesn't improve the engine power, I would not do it unless the smog gear is inoperative already.

Naturally, and this should go without saying, you would keep everything you took off the truck during the de-smog...and you would do it right.
But, you could gut the underhood of everything except the block & head, chooose an intake manifold (maybe a '69 Toyota Hi-Po...) and a carb to fit it (I like the '74 mechanical secondary), choose an exhaust (maybe 3F or headers or stock) and a dizzy of your choice...figure out an aircleaner....spend another weekend or two working out bugs and drive it.
It's easier on a pre-smog truck but perfectly doable with any 2F. Things just seem to bolt together or slip right in amongst all the years of the straight 6. It's like a chinese menu. Pick your parts and put 'em together. It's all been done before.
IMNSHO, I think a de-smogged 2F is closer to the ideals of Mr. Toyoda...The smogstuff is a hasty response to Federally-mandated idiocy and is not Toyota's best moment. I feel that a back-to-basics straight six pays special homage to our shared heritage and is nearer the original intention and truer to the concept of the LandCruiser. Plus I think it drives better, runs cooler, sounds better, is easier to work on and doesn't have all those expensive little plastic valves , yards of vacuum tubing, smog pumps, or other intricate BS to fight with.
I got 2 vacuum hoses, and I could probably do without the throttle positioner.

Last edited:
Finally completed the desmog on my 1980, and I'm very pleased with the results - way lower exhaust temps, much smoother acceleration and deceleration. Still on my first tank of gas after so no report on fuel economy yet. Mucho thanks to MUD and especially Jim C. of TLC Performance for all the help on this project. :cheers:

I'd voted for removal but keeping everything, taking pictures etc. I'd leave only the egr, I say this because I'd researched that an egr can actually reduce cylinder head temperatures drastically thus should increase performance. I say this in theory only. If you plan on keeping this truck for a long time, wrenching on it yourself then desmog it. However it WILL reduce the value of the truck IMO.
My pals 82 runs beautifully and gets about 17mpg, my de-smogged 78 gets about 14. Improvements in gas mileage? apples and oranges, it's only gas buy more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom