DD won't start after tune up - Please Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took on what I thought were two easy projects this weekend and now the truck starts/fires but immediately dies before it can ever reach idle.

I did a basic tune up - (Changed out plugs, dist cap, rotor and kept the wires since they were replaced less than a year ago). I also tightened all 3 belts - (Each is now tight, the alt belt is a bit tighter than the others but still has 1/8" of flex)

I've retraced all my steps and cannot figure out WTF is going on. The truck was running perfectly and this was done for the sake of baselining the rig.... :bang:

Here's what I have checked:
I checked to make sure all vacuum hoses were attached
Made sure the spark plug wires were connected in the proper order
I traded out the Bosch plugs for Denso's just to make sure it wasn't the plugs
I check to make sure the wire connection at the distributer was clean

Any ideas???

Did you disconnect the vacuum hoses at the distributor? Make sure they are not switched around.

Also check that each plug is actually firing.

Sorry. Meant to specify in the original post. Stock 3fe motor. 89 fj62.

I just check the vac hoses at the dist.... One is bigger than the other and they were on the right way. I took the battery out to get better access at tightening the belts. Ill go check the fusible link.

This happened to me on my 60. It ended up being a loose wire on the coil. It was barely making contact on the coil plug because the wire had wiggled up the boot a bit.

I'm at a complete loss.... I checked the coil and everything is tight and connected. Any other ideas? I cannot figure out what else could have gone wrong.

will the engine keep running if you leave the key to the start position?
im not sure about your engine but if you have a ballast resistor and it has an open in it
then it would start while the key is to start but stop as soon as you release the key to the run position

taking a stab in the dark....loose distributor bolt and you accidentally rotated it while putting on the new cap and rotor thus greatly changing the timing.

happened to me once on the rabbit. Where are you? I can come over and give you a hand if you need...I'd like to see that 40 project you have.

Last edited:
a little more info may be needed...

does it crank?
does it start?
does it start, run , and then die?
do you have spark?
what is the fuel pressure like?

bk

check the fuses.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Could you have shorrted out your EFI relay somehow ?

Thanks for all the help/PM's on this. It seems the issue is somewhere in the throttle linkage.... On a whim my neighbor played around with giving it gas while starting and it fired up on the very last try at 11 last night. Its idling high unless i pull back on the linkage.... guess I'll be spending my evening tearing into this a checking the TPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom