Daughter's wedding coming up. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

splitshot

Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper.
Threads
And after checking prices for catering, the wife volunteered my services to provide the eats for; at this point 100 people.:eek:
They are thinking of smoked meats (pulled pork, chicken, and sliced beef) with beans...

I work close to 70 hours a week and only have Saturday's and Sunday's off and think the only way I could pull this off was over several weekends and freeze it. Day of the wedding it will all go into bins on a rental warming table...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Yikes! I think fancy catering costs are overrated. I do know people that paid a few hundred dollars to have a cook come out with his BBQ trailer outfit, and roast a pig he supplies.

A trip with a few more hundred dollars over to Costco or Sam's Club for the rest of the food, and you're done. You'll probably be busy enough at the wedding to not be tasked with major cooking.

A massive grill with steaks and chicken is easy too, and can be done affordably with expert results if you apply skill. Have seen this done with halved food grade steel drums, charcoal and a steel grid.

How much is your time worth? This is your daughters day and you being free of undue responsibilities and able to just 'be there' ,preferably with a cold beer in one hand, is probably best.

I'd outsource that sh*t

Lol, :cheers:

At this point, I am thinking of keeping it simple and just doing butt's ahead of time and freezing (this could all change, in the next mood swing). The groom has a bunch of brothers that I can put to work the day of the wedding, I think, depending on their schedule the night before...:meh:

John, it's the end of April, so time to think this out.

Hey Split,
Since your wife volentold you, put her butt to work also. After realizing the mother of the bride won't be able to run around with a with a glass of bubbly in her hand, maybe she will have a moment of clarity and see what you are up against.

Well Mr. Split,
What has happened, what have you decided to do?
P.S. We need wedding pics to include you and Mrs. Split.
And maybe that poor bastid they call the Groom

:lol: No decisions as of yet, sure they are all waiting to pile on at the last minute. Color me oblivious till then.

So I've worked a LOT of weddings. 100 people as far as food prep goes might seem manageable. But what about serving? What about clean up? What about replenishing chafing dishes, plates, utensils?

Service is often included in catering costs. That, truly, is worth the cost.

So I've worked a LOT of weddings. 100 people as far as food prep goes might seem manageable. But what about serving? What about clean up? What about replenishing chafing dishes, plates, utensils?

Service is often included in catering costs. That, truly, is worth the cost.
Say it sister! ONSC's switch to catering for Carolina Relic Run and Logan's Run has turned those into events that I am now able to enjoy more thoroughly instead of planning and executing a dinner for 125-175 people. Also, the many volunteers and 'forced volunteers' can now spend more time enjoying the event that they paid to attend. We still do the cooking for our other, smaller, events.

@splitshot We use a caterer that only does BBQ and came in MUCH cheaper than restaurant-based or full-service option catering. By being local to our venue, traveling costs for them are also eliminated. Maybe you can find someone like this. If you still plan to do it yourself...look into renting a large cooker so that you can get everything done in one or two cooks in your limited time home.

personally I would vote to sub it out to someone that will do catering, that's what me and the wife did. we found a bbq place that we likes, gave them a headcount and they came back with different options at different price points. and it shoud be noted that the cost included hot and cold passed apps, buffet, coffees and tea with desert, wait staff, serving and dinner ware, and cleanup. we were able to do that on a relatively low budget (a little over 3k) and we had it set to feed 90. itll be one less thing to worry about on the day of and youll be able to enjoy it more as the father of the bride instead of as the cook, but that's just my opinion.

I so tried for a vendor to sub it out but that bill has been vetoed. They have hearts set on Tri-tip (well seasoned, but not smoked) and cooked by your's truly. I figure I can cook 10 at a time in the smoker, rest then vacuum freeze..
Just roll with it, right?:rolleyes:

Wish me luck, the process has begun. I may come out as the hero or the villain....
002.JPG

1st 10, browned over charcoal and pulled at 140 internal temp. It kills me to seal and freeze them.
004.JPG
005.JPG

John,
I've been wishing my current family situation was more stable and regulated so I could fly out to help with all this. I'd do the pork if you'd teach me tri-tip. Reach out if I can help in any way from here. And remember the wonders of the cooler as a heat maintainer when you reheat in batches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom