Dash Button refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am beginning my careful restoration of a 1997 40th Anniversary 80. One of the items I have noticed and am adding to my long list to clean the yellowed buttons on my dash. This is specifically noticeable on the Auto AC unit. controls. Truck has never been smoked in so I know it is not nicotine. Has anyone found a good fix? I am thinking a mild solution of bleach and detergent applied with a cotton swab?

Thoughts?

I am beginning my careful restoration of a 1997 40th Anniversary 80. One of the items I have noticed and am adding to my long list to clean the yellowed buttons on my dash. This is specifically noticeable on the Auto AC unit. controls. Truck has never been smoked in so I know it is not nicotine. Has anyone found a good fix? I am thinking a mild solution of bleach and detergent applied with a cotton swab?

Thoughts?
Actually....all of the buttons are available brand new. I replaced all mine a few months back. Was around $75 and they're all brand new.

Actually....all of the buttons are available brand new. I replaced all mine a few months back. Was around $75 and they're all brand new.
Even for the automatic temp control unit of the 97? Do they just pop off from the front or do you have to remove the control unit?

Even for the automatic temp control unit of the 97? Do they just pop off from the front or do you have to remove the control unit?
I believe they just pop off. I can't say exactly because my AC button was already broken. But I picked up a new button from the dealer and it just popped right on.

I took my controller out and took it apart. Unfortunately I don't have the part numbers handy :/

Okay I take it back. I remembered I got the part numbers from an 80 group facebook post. See below. IF you have the AUTO button you'll need that in addition to the ones listed in the post.

Thoughts?
I’ve had this same problem with my 94. I’m currently replacing the entire dash assembly with all new OEM parts and those old buttons are a buzz kill. They make all my new stuff look “too” new:hillbilly:

image.jpg

I’ve come across CHEAP new OEM AC unit buttons on Amayama.com. I’ll probably place an order soon too. I attached a link if you’re interested.

AC buttons link

They are like $3-$4 a piece.

I’ve had this same problem with my 94. I’m currently replacing the entire dash assembly with all new OEM parts and those old buttons are a buzz kill. They make all my new stuff look “too” new:hillbilly:

View attachment 2641379

I’ve come across CHEAP new OEM AC unit buttons on Amayama.com. I’ll probably place an order soon too. I attached a link if you’re interested.

AC buttons link

Wow, those are cheap. I may order them. I cleaned mine a bit and they seem to look brighter. This is a great price. How much luck are you having removing them from the controller? Do you use a sharp pic and pluck them off?

View attachment 2641379

AC buttons link

Yes, but shipping to the U.S. is like $28.00 (per button) unless they will combine the shipping?

Wow, those are cheap. I may order them. I cleaned mine a bit and they seem to look brighter. This is a great price. How much luck are you having removing them from the controller? Do you use a sharp pic and pluck them off?
I haven’t even tried to remove them yet to be honest so I have no idea. I’ve been working on replacing the major pieces first. Then I’ll focus on detail like lights and buttons.

I would order new ones and then once your order is confirmed, and you know you have new ones coming, THEN start trying to pry them off. I’m guessing the controller in your rig is original. Those thin plastic buttons are 24 years old. I bet you’ll break one or two trying to remove them. Just my two cents.

Let me know how it goes and good luck!:cheers:

Yes, but shipping to the U.S. is like $28.00 (per button) unless they will combine the shipping?
They combined shipping. I’ve ordered 90% of my resto parts from over seas. Better prices and selection. Japan is Mr. T’s hometown. What better place to source your parts is there?:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom