Dana 44's out of a Heep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crawlorado.com
ok i have a smokin deal lined up on some 44's out of a 70's ish Cherokee, both front and rear are offset to the right, front has disks.. and should work in my 40... anyone have experece with these?? Know what the Gearing may be (how do i tell), or the rotation, Standard or reversed.?? 40's are standard, Correct?? .. And is the T-case off these any good??

Thanks for any input, i posed a message on Heep forum and they didint know s***, or they wont aswer because i said i am a forign guy...

First, the t-case that this truck has is junk. Quadralosertrack, junk chain case, that you, nor anyone else with and ounce of smarts wants anything to do with.

Second.

Do not waste your time trying to make them work. You are not going to gain anything by doing this. What are you intending on doing with your Land Cruiser, that the stock axles can not take? Do you not have axles under your truck right now? Or, get them, and sell them to someone that has a jeep, or some other project that may be looking for them.

Not worth my time or money, but..

Good luck!

-Steve

i have stock set up now, 76 with disk brakes.. Dana 44's are stronger then LC axels! i am pretty shure of that... Corect me if i am wrong but from what i have heard, Birfields are crap, Ye i know i could get longfields for 80 bucks, but i can get these axels for like $200.. front and rear, done.. my plan is Spring over and 35" tires posibly bigger later.. i would like to lock up the front aswell as the rear.. A good Toyota freind of mine has told me never to lock a Birfield axel.. i just dont want to be stuck on some trail somwhere with broke s***, or be looking at an obstical and say to myself, i better not try it or i will break my stuff... Thanks for the input guys!!

[quote author=isotel link=board=1;threadid=8370;start=msg70903#msg70903 date=1070502463]
i have stock set up now, 76 with disk brakes.. Dana 44's are stronger then LC axels! i am pretty shure of that... Corect me if i am wrong but from what i have heard, Birfields are crap,
[/quote]

You're absolutely right, just ship your stock axles to me for free and I'll get rid of them for you. BTW, that'll be me passing you on the trail when your 44's snap like dry kindling on some rocks.

You would not gain a single thing from those 44 axles.
Waste of money. Spend the money somewhere else.
Hmm isn't woody running 38.5's locked with birfs? And Spaceghost competing with a locked birfield axle? Not to mention plenty of others running larger than 35" tires with birfs.

anyone elce?? comment? i find it hard to belive that LC axels are almost as strong as a dana 60 1 Ton, But if they are then thats cool!! i just find it hard to swallow.. especialy with stock birfs..

i truly wish this were true!! i am a toyota guy thru and thru, but i also want the best stuff for my money..

In order to get a 44 to be as strong as a stock cruiser axle is, you are going to need to run stronger axle shafts, and a better u-joint, which if you add up the sum of all that, you could run these other F-ing Birfs for a long time and not have to worry about them, according to those that use them. Further, the 44's that you want to install so desperately, probably have a 3:73 gear, which again, would be another back-wards move, so you would need to drop money on bearings and gears for them, to get them back to where you already are.

I decided that I was not going to waste money or time on anything like that, and built Dana 60's. No more worring about breaking F-ing Birfs, period. It only took me breaking three, the last one on the starter.

Oh, and your last comment on being the guy that blocks the trail, and holds people up, it happens to everyone, and I have waited for broken rockwells, Dana 60's, 44's, 30's, and just about anything else you can think of, and also broken things on my truck. Anything at anytime can, and will fail. This is not an opinion, but a fact.

Good luck with your swap!

-Steve

[quote author=isotel link=board=1;threadid=8370;start=msg70911#msg70911 date=1070503319]
anyone elce?? comment? i find it hard to belive that LC axels are almost as strong as a dana 60 1 Ton, But if they are then thats cool!! i just find it hard to swallow.. especialy with stock birfs..

i truly wish this were true!! i am a toyota guy thru and thru, but i also want the best stuff for my money..
[/quote]

Swapping out good running gear for Dana 44 stuff, is not following your last sentence.

Even dropping 200.00 on upgraded F-ing birfs would make more sense...

I've got TWO cherokees and will give you BOTH sets of 44 rears for the rears out of your cruiser.

Look,

Dana 44's have their place....

But not under a Land Cruiser.

Just my very opinionated two cents. :)

I would stay with the LC axles. The shafts on the LC are much bigger. You are correct that the birf is the week link but from what I have heard most people snap them while locked and turned to full stops with alot of weight on the front axle. I plan on smurfing my birfs.

I broke a few 44s before I became a cruiserholic. With locked stock axles and 35s I'm now driving right passed where I was snapping 44s. Last time I went to Devils Hole 3 vehicles had to be towed out. One was a broken 12 bolt and the other 2 were grenaded 44s. Toyota all the way dude.

I have a D44 in my Toyota. In the front of my T-100. :D
I woulda gone with a with a Toy axle if I could get one for the right price, but only an 80 would have been wide enough and they ain't cheap.

What kind of Heep axle runs closed knuckles? I've got an old Jeepster on a hoist with a blown trans. Cute little tiny drive train including an axle that looks like a 1/2 scale cruiser front.

There's a junkyard with piles of 44 axles you can have for free, just hand over your stock axles and I'll deliver em.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom