Dakar springs

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by norm, Jun 13, 2005.

1. norm

norm

Has anyone tried these on a FJ40 SUA yet? How do they ride? How much lift did you get? I'm thinking of getting some but am not sure if I can get 4" of lift out of them by using extended shackles.

2. Tigerstripe40

Tigerstripe40

Media:
    The Dakar springs are the same design, just manufactured in Malaysia rather than in Australia.

I have the Original OME heavies that are 2.5" of lift.
    I run extended shackles, which equates to about 4" in the rear and 3-3.5" in the front. The truck rides really nicely when I have it loaded down with gear. Empty it's pretty rough, but that's pretty common.

I need to replace one of the front spring packs. I can do either just the one with the Aussie made OME's, or I can get a pair of Dakar springs for the price of one spring pack (well, a little more).

I am really impressed with how long the original sprigns lasted (I am the second or third owner of the sprigns, and I have beat the S@#$ out of them).

I'd say do it.

3. mike

mike 82bj42 1st project

I have a good set of stock leaf springs f/s if you need? Thx

4. tojons

tojons

I purchased the full Dakkar set up with greasable pins and shackles, and the OME nitro charger shocks about 3 months ago. I did the install in a day with the help of a buddy (SUA).

I would guess I've got about 1500 to 2000 miles on them now.

Major difference over the stock springs (69). Handles much better on and off road , smooths out the worst washboards, really improved the lean feeling when cornering, and they're great on the trail.

It's like driving a different rig IMO. I'm very happy with them. I'm glad I spent the money. I measured at the time of install - about 2.5" to 3.5" of lift from front to back. But my old springs were pretty flat. And I didn't use extended shackles. But I could easily run 33's now with no rubbing - in fact I have a set - but haven't put them on yet. I've still got too much tread left on the 31's.

5. norm

norm

stock springs

Hey Mike,
    Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to try the Dakars. As long as I can get 4"of lift out of them I'll be happy, since I already had my driveshafts modified for a 4" lift.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.