D.U.I hei replacement parts questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JaketheSSnake

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought an 83 Fj60 a couple of years ago at auction. Its been desmogged (very sloppily) and the hei distributor has a DUI sticker on it, so I'm assuming it's a DUI. I've driven it very little, but it really hasn't had many issues other than dieseling after shutoff occasionally. It's always started right off and idled very smooth. After sitting for the last 6 months through winter, it won't start. Won't even attempt to fire. It's definitely not getting spark and the distributor is getting power. I'd prefer to just replace the hei "guts" if possible. Are the Davis units built with anything special? Will gm v6 parts work? I'm getting ready to sell it and because it's a cheap trail vehicle, I don't want to dump a bunch of money into it.

Check the magnetic pickup coil inside. Mine use to wear out every 6 months or so. The shaft is pulled down via the cam and tears up the windings in the pickup coil when the bushing wears out in the top of the distributor. Easy to replace, should be easy to find at any parts store.

Check the magnetic pickup coil inside. Mine use to wear out every 6 months or so. The shaft is pulled down via the cam and tears up the windings in the pickup coil when the bushing wears out in the top of the distributor. Easy to replace, should be easy to find at any parts store.
Have you ever tested one, or just look for physical damage? I read that you can probe the wires and it should put out 2-3 volts while the engine is turning over but I'm not sure if that's true. Mine had zero volts so maybe it is the problem.

Remove the cap and look down inside. The reluctor pickup will make ac voltage while spinning the shaft. There is a plastic cover over the coil winding. you should see chaffing marks or morn through parts on the plastic piece. Usually the issue is when the winding gets broken.

Remove the cap and look down inside. The reluctor pickup will make ac voltage while spinning the shaft. There is a plastic cover over the coil winding. you should see chaffing marks or morn through parts on the plastic piece. Usually the issue is when the winding gets broken.
Awesome, thank you very much!

Bought an hei replacement kit from manafre and replaced everything piece by piece and tried starting it. Nothing. Still no spark. Ran a wire directly from the battery to distributor and still nothing. I'm about to part this thing out

Well nevermind, after double checking everything I forgot to plug in the ignition module lol. Now it's popping and backfiring, so I'll call that a win until I get the timing figured out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom