D-Locker instructions needed (pre LockRight) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hulk

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
risingsun4x4club.org
In 2001, I purchased a LockRight from a guy who used to be in the Rising Sun. He said it was one of the first LockRights ever made, and at the time, the company wasn't even calling them "LockRights" -- they were called D Lockers (IIRC).

I installed it in my rear diff and it's worked fine.

After breaking the long rear axle shaft in my FJ40 at Cruise Moab this year, I had the opportunity to disassemble and then reassemble the D Locker. Chris Hatfield said, "That's different than any LockRight I've seen."

Differences:

1. On top of the springs there are small metal discs that sit between the pins and the springs.

2. There are copper pins with slope/taper on one end, coming to a point, that slip in from the side to tension the springs up against the pins.

Otherwise, the design is the same as a LockRight.

Needed:

I'd like to get a copy of the original installation instructions, just to make sure that I've been installing the locker correctly, etc. I called Richmond Gear, current owners of Powertrax/LockRight. The technical support guy that I talked to said that he had "heard of the copper pin versions" of LockRights, but had no information concering them. The old company out of California is kaput.

Does anyone have any information or old instructions that they could copy and send to me?

Thanks!
Matt Farr

I was looking on the Net for some more information, and came across this:

There is little difference between the two. The Detroit is slightly shinier (if you like that kind of thing). The only difference I saw was in the springs. I actually think the Detroit has a better system. The Lock-right uses two springs sitting inside of each other to actuate the locker. This design is prone to failure eventually as the springs wear and the guy at the warranty desk knew exactly what the problem was when I called them. The Detroit uses a 'button' on top of their springs where it comes into contact with the pin. This design seemed to be alot more durable to me and made more sense.​

So... maybe I have a different locker than I think? Mine seems to have the "buttons" that he speaks of.

The above quote came from here

Anyone have the Detroit EZ Locker? Maybe that's what I have...? :confused:

they are called an EZ-Lock, and they are identical 99.999% to the Lockrite/Aussie, at least as far as basic principles.....believe my tech writup in the links was even for the EZ-Lock....

heck, I'll wager I've got an original EZ-lock box in the attic....might even know where it is.....(knowing where ANYTHING is in the shop is scary...)

hey look....lol.... http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/woody/ez-lock.html

center gap range for the locker is .145 - .170 and when I last reinstalled my front EZ, I used the thickest stock side washers from cruiserdan and ended up at .150....

believe .154 is their "ideal"....a tad tighter is better, IMO....

damn, hope I had those numbers memorized right.....

Nope, mine is different than that! Thanks for pointing me to those pics, Woody. At least now I know that I don't have an EZ-Locker. Those pictures look just like the pictures of the current LockRight that I saw on the PowerTrax web site.

Installation looks easier for the current version than it is for the older version that I have. Mine requires these little copper pins that are wedge-shaped at the top, that slide into holes from the side to put tension on the springs.

The guy I bought the locker from said that it was one of the first LockRights ever made. He said if you looked hard enough, there was a serial number on it that was something like 00000011. I never have found the serial number, but I have no reason to doubt him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom