Cylinder 1&3 Misfire - Coil packs replaced still CEL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unless you have VVTi you have a NON interference engine so pistons and valves coming together will not be a issue.

It sounds like a head gasket to me, if both adjacent cylinders have exactly the same low pressure.
I doubt any other issue like worn valves would result in exactly the same low pressure in both cylinders...
Just in case I would redo the compression test -if they are both exactly the same, then you're essentially measuring the same space - ie, there is a leak though the head gasket between the cylinders.
The OPs idea to apply air to cylinder A while having a pressure guage in cylinder B would confirm it.
I could be wrong though, I have been at least once before. ;)

Do you know if the PO ever had the head gasket replaced?
I've no idea on the 2uz-fe head gaskets, but I know on some older cars, the head bolts are meant to be re-tensioned after xxx kilometers. I don't know if this is the case with these head gaskets.

If the PO did get have a head gasket go, its possible they did replace it, but either didn't tighten them enough, or retention them, or perhaps did them too tight...
Just a thought...
If its easy enough to get to the head bolts... after you've exhausted all other options... I'd try re-tensioning them, then pressure testing again, prior to going the full gasket replacement.

Last edited:
Confirmed blown HG at 3&5.

I gave up and took it to a trustworthy mechanic that my friend has used for all his Land Cruisers for the last 15 years. He just called me with the confirmation! It appears that the HG blew between 2 cylinders and did not effect water passages. I'll see if he can save the gasket for me to post pictures.

thought i should circle back on this for future mudders, it was just a clogged cat on the driver's side. if you are having these issues, disconnect the exhaust at the cat on that bank and see if it fixes the issue.

You can use a vacuum gauge to check for a blocked exhaust, a vacuum gauge is a good tool to have in your tool box if you do your own diagnostics.

Thank you for checking back in and letting us know what you found.

Hi All,
This is on my wifes 2005 4Runner, 2UZ-FE. 150k mi. Was hoping you could help me out on this.

CEL came on a month ago, cylinder 5 misfire. Pulled spark plug, looked fine. Assumed a failing coil pack. Got the Denso from Amazon and replaced it. Cleared code and now it came back with cylinder 3 and 5 misfire.

The truck doesn't drive any different, but has a slight miss. Coolant level is good and there is no coolant in oil. I just replaced the oil 2 weeks ago, and it looked great.

Next is a leakdown and/or compression test I guess. Bought the truck this year from a friend who was the original owner and babied the thing. I can't imagine a blown head gasket...? Anything else I should check that would cause misfire on two adjacent cylinders?

Thanks

UPDATE 9-27-17, STILL HAVING PROBLEMS. List of things checked
- Swapped coils and replaced spark plugs
- Checked ECU via FSM
- Verified timing belt did not skip teeth
- Cleaned MAF and TB

UPDATE 10-11-17
- Compression on 3&5 @ 90psi -- Possible head gasket failure.

Update 2-10-18
Confirmed blown head gasket between 3&5.

Update 2-23-18
Head gasket replaced, with valve job. 1 exhaust valve on 5 was burnt. small breach between 3&5 in gasket. Truck running like new again.
This is how everyone should be updating their posts with solution and updates in the original post. Great job @bajaphile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom