1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CV joint Replacement

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by harveya, Jul 26, 2005.

1. harveya

harveya

I'm just about to replace the CV joints on my '93 with ABS. It has been suggested that I replace the drive flange with the new CV joint, is this correct or can I reuse the old drive flange. Don't want to get it apart and then find I can't complete the job. I've just never seen a suggestion to replace the Drive flange with the CV before.

2. elmariachi

elmariachi

Do a search for "birfield" and "steering knuckle". You will find that what you are calling a flange and a CV do not normally need replacing like a real CV joint. These are hardened steel joints running inside a housing that require periodic servicing of the seal, gasket and grease. You need to order a factory manual before you tear into it. There is a wealth of info and pics here, just search thost terms.

3. harveya

harveya

I've got factory manual, it's just my right hand front CV is fubared and needs replacing. Going to just clean and repack the other side but got to replace the right hand (Drivers side) one.

Just a bit confused as to why the drive flange would need replacing as well as the Birf.

4. elmariachi

elmariachi

I would assume that someone has said that if a birfield joint/axle stub shaft needs replacing that he drive flange does as well. I would inspect the insid eof the flange and also see how the existing drive flange fits on the new joint shaft before just buying the flange. If it fits tight and the inner splines feel sharp and unworn to your finger tip, I would say you would be fine using your existing flange.

5. harveya

harveya

Jim.

Thanks for that, confirmed my thoughts that I'd try the existing flange first. Put my mind at rest.