cut n' turn mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got around to getting this done. I think it's really a great mod. Now i can easily fabricate a skid plate from the slider. Here's the pics. One before and then after. :beer:
cut n turn (small).jpg
cut n turn mod 001 (Small).jpg
cut n turn mod 002 (Small).jpg

couple more. . . :beer:

By the way, it cost $70 and the guy fixed one of the hangers i had knocked the shizz out of.
cut n turn mod 003 (Small).jpg
cut n turn mod 004 (Small).jpg

much better!

anyone know why it wasn't like that from the factory?

NorCalDoug said:
much better!

Pink pantied concerns regarding passenger floor board heat!

Joe

Big_Moose said:

Joe

There may be some heat on the passenger side, but it aint coming from no catalytic converter. :grinpimp:

Big_Moose said:

Joe

So Joe, you're saying it's to keep the pink panties pink? Don't want to soil the pink panties now do we?

NorCalDoug said:
much better!

My guess is that in the factory orientation the majority of the radiated heat is not directed at the floor. With the cats turned for ground clearance, looks like 50% of the radiated heat is directly aimed at the floor. In the stock configuration the floor can get hot enough to melt the bottom of a plastic cooler! Some day I will get around to adding extra heat shielding.

Rich said:
Some day I will get around to adding extra heat shielding.

I plan to do the same.

What are your thoughts on what to use and how to add more heat shielding?

Rich said:
My guess is that in the factory orientation the majority of the radiated heat is not directed at the floor. With the cats turned for ground clearance, looks like 50% of the radiated heat is directly aimed at the floor. In the stock configuration the floor can get hot enough to melt the bottom of a plastic cooler! Some day I will get around to adding extra heat shielding.

I did this mod over a year ago and have never gotten around to adding a heat sheild. I dont see a reason for it. the floor may bet a bit warmer but iv done a 26 hour drive strait and its never melted anything.

Did you have to remove the slider to do it? Or did he work around it?

TJK

Kaderabek said:
Did you have to remove the slider to do it? Or did he work around it?

TJK

Worked around it. Did it really quickly too i might add. I was impressed.

lx450landcruiser said:
I did this mod over a year ago and have never gotten around to adding a heat sheild. I dont see a reason for it. the floor may bet a bit warmer but iv done a 26 hour drive strait and its never melted anything.
Carry the load I do, and travel the roads I do, in the ambiatnt temps I do, and keep up the pace, and then I would expect that you would then see the reason. I'm not talking warm floor, I am talking very hot floor.

DRTDuck said:
What are your thoughts on what to use and how to add more heat shielding?
Two possibilities come to mind. 1) a section of sheet metal fastened underneath the floor fastened to standoffs for an air gap. The downside to this is it could be a mud & salt trap that would lead to corrosion. 2) A comoposite aluminized mylar foam type insulation installed inside underneath the carpet. This is perhaps the better approach, no doubt the easiest. Pull the seats, pull up the carpet, lay it down, and put the carpet and seats back in place.

Rich said:
Carry the load I do, and travel the roads I do, in the ambiatnt temps I do, and keep up the pace, and then I would expect that you would then see the reason. I'm not talking warm floor, I am talking very hot floor.

Dude i live in arizona? hot hot hot. i drove from AZ to Bellingham Wa (top of the state. full load, basically everything i own (including a queen futon bed and mattress) going up to college this incuded a front passanger. did the trip non stop hit the desert at noon exactly. no complaints.

mike

not saying a shield is a bad thing just saying its not something you HAVE to do

120 degrees in the shade hot?

Seeing the bottom of a good quality plastic cooler melted by the floor mounted seat hardware is enough to establish the need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom