cut n' turn mod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rich said:
Two possibilities come to mind. 1) a section of sheet metal fastened underneath the floor fastened to standoffs for an air gap. The downside to this is it could be a mud & salt trap that would lead to corrosion. 2) A comoposite aluminized mylar foam type insulation installed inside underneath the carpet. This is perhaps the better approach, no doubt the easiest. Pull the seats, pull up the carpet, lay it down, and put the carpet and seats back in place.

crazy idea- cut and turn the cats so they are vertical, you will have less heat in the floorboards :D

maybe they should just be on a giant swivel so you can twist it like a propeller, lol

I think the improved clearance with horizontal orientation is worthwhile for anybody that deals with rocky trails.

I'm going with improved heat shielding regardless. I like to keep a cooler right behind the front passenger seat, where it can be reached while on the road. That puts it right over the cats, with the seat hardware in the floor providing a direct heat conduction path from underneath the truck to the cooler. In the meanwhile, in hot weather, I put a few 2x4s under the cooler.

FirstToy said:
maybe they should just be on a giant swivel so you can twist it like a propeller, lol

I'm sure Photoman has allready done this. ;p

Rich, good point. I think that those who have done this mod and live in hot climate talked me into the fact that it's not too hot. IF it does, then i'll deal with a heat shield of some type. Right now, after a good long drive, the floor doesn't feel any hotter than before.

For those of you that have done this modification, is there any risk of the O2 sensors being affected by the heat from the welding?

The O2 sensors are further back and theres no prob from that. its a small cut and a fast weld. not much more heat then a hot exahust anyways.

mike

I thinks Rich's #1 idea is better, with some enhancements. It will be much better to keep the heat out of the floor altogether if possible.

There is already sheetmetal (thin galvanized steel) shields screwed onto studs underneath the floorboard. Mud and so forth can't be too much of an issue.

What about this idea? Remove the existing shields. Add several layers (4 or 5?) of cut up space blanket to make a reflective shield sandwiched between the existing sheetmetal shield and the floorboard. Space blanket is aluminized mylar which is very good at reflecting infra-red radiation (heat) and can be gotten at any camping/hunting store, and is not expensive. Wrinkles and gaps between the layers will actually be a good thing. Fit will not be critical. It's very, very thin stuff. This will be an easy job.

Then, adding another sheetmetal layer on standoffs will enhance it even more. That layer will take the brunt of the direct heating, and the air gap between will allow circulating air to carry some conducted heat away. I suppose aluminum would be easiest to work with, and non-rusting, but steel is a poorer conductor of heat, and therefore a better shield. Maybe air conditioning/heating duct would be a good source of material. This part will be more work, of course.

If you're just wanting to increase interior comfort I have an endless supply of insulator pad in various thickness - such as what's on the back of this door panel. It's cheap - about $5 for a 5'x6' sheet.
shoddy_pad.jpg

how did he manage to weld on top of the pipes?

e9999 said:
how did he manage to weld on top of the pipes?

Super glue :flipoff2:

I'm not sure, i wasn't there. I dropped it off at 8:00 and he was finished by 10:00. Welds look good and they do go all the way around.

i watched my guy do the welding, theres a reason these guys have exhaust shops they can weld at any angle, very very good welders. as for the space blanket idea, with ever solution there is a problem. i live in Az half the year and Wa the other half. if you do any driving in water (i.e. rain, water crossing ect..) waters going to get trapped in that material and rust your cats away at a much much faster rate then normal. Last i hear those cats cost a pretty penny. i thought about doing the exhaust wraps a year ago or so but after talking to others on the board here about rust issues i went against it.

mike

Have you ever delt with Mylar? That stuff is fragile as heck. Just a little nick and it tears to pieces.

I'd love to see some sort of data on this so-called increase in heat to the pass floor. Anyone? Well then it's all conjecture as far as I'm concerned. There's no airflow data for under there that any of us have seen and low-speed/high effort wheeling is where you'll see the most heat and that heat os going UP no matter WHAT angle your catalytic converters are at.

A far more dangerous situation is what happened to me when I 'nudged' those cats and slightly bent the exhaust pipe UP so IT contacted the heat shield under the 2nd row pass seat, which was folded forward to accomodate my cooler. The heat shield became a heat-conductor and said cooler melted to the floor. Rotating the cats thereby reducing this occurance has resulted in cooler floors overall ;)

Who's to say it's like that becuase of heat anyway? I'm probably frying some of the expensive platinum by having them turned like that...

Not trying to be a d!ck, I just like fact with my science...

:beer:

Rich, I'm not suggesting putting the mylar next to the cat's themselves, but up next to the floorboards where it's just pretty warm, not HOT HOT. It's not extreme heat stuff at all anyway. The mylar wouldn't trap any water next to the cats because it wouldn't be next to them. However, it COULD trap drops just due to contact above the normal heat shields and eventually cause the shields to rust. Hard to say. I can't think of any kind of insulation that would NOT do that even worse though. I don't think being delicate is an issue. You'd just cram some layers up there and hold it in place by re-installing the normal sheetmetal shields. If it didn't come out so neat, well, no biggy.

That Cool It reflective silica blanket product that you pointed out is interesting. That might have some benefit closer to the cat, maybe right above it. On the other hand, I can see a thing like that actually acting like a sponge in wet winter weather and really cause a rust problem.

tiorio said:
I'd love to see some sort of data on this so-called increase in heat to the pass floor. Anyone? Well then it's all conjecture as far as I'm concerned. There's no airflow data for under there that any of us have seen and low-speed/high effort wheeling is where you'll see the most heat and that heat os going UP no matter WHAT angle your catalytic converters are at.

A far more dangerous situation is what happened to me when I 'nudged' those cats and slightly bent the exhaust pipe UP so IT contacted the heat shield under the 2nd row pass seat, which was folded forward to accomodate my cooler. The heat shield became a heat-conductor and said cooler melted to the floor. Rotating the cats thereby reducing this occurance has resulted in cooler floors overall ;)

Who's to say it's like that becuase of heat anyway? I'm probably frying some of the expensive platinum by having them turned like that...

Well, toirio, it is conjecture, I'd agree. Seems reasonable though. Those things are REALLY HOT radiating surfaces. I'd rather sit over the top of them than sit ON them like what practically happened to you. Not a good deal at all! Agreed, I'll take "cooler floors overall" over crispy fried any day. As for scientific data, well, it probably exists, in katakana, in a dusty box under the desk of some Toyota engineer. You could write a letter to Toyota Customer Relations requesting it... :idea:

Bambusiero said:
You could write a letter to Toyota Customer Relations requesting it... :idea:

:D

Now where's that English-Japanese dictionary?

CUT n' REPLACE mod. - I've been considering the idea of just replacing the original cats instead of welding back in the old tired ones.

Reasons:

1) Some aftermarket units with appropriate flow rating are noticably smaller than the stock units, thus gaining additional clearence.

- The MagnaFlow 94106 (2 1/2" tube) has a body size of 4" thick x 6 1/2" wide x 9" long, plus 2" of tube at each end for welding.

- The front stock unit has a body size of 4 11/16" thick x 7 1/16" wide x 11" long, plus 5/8" of flange/tube at each end.

- The rear stock unit has a body size of 4 1/2" thick x 7 7/8" wide x 10" long, plus 5/8" of flange/tube at each end.

2) Who knows how much longer the originals will last? They've got 100K miles and 8 years on them. Could be 70K more miles, could be 10K.

3) I see the MagnaFlow 94106 priced at about US $56 each online. With shipping that would $130 or so additional cost over keeping the originals. Not too bad.

4) I would have the muffler guy weld them in with the middle somewhat higher than stock/straight, and without a flange between the 2 cats. That will allow the slider support arm to be fabricated up higher. I would put a flange at each end of the whole cat assembly.

Also, I would do something about improving the underframe tube position and smash resistance at the same time.

So many ideas, so little time (sigh).

Mmm. No can do in California. You have to go OEM...

Oh, yeah, well there is THAT.

They have a family of units that claim "OBD II legal in California". They ARE bigger though. Also, there is an emblem on the the 94100 web page that says the same thing. What's OK in California, what's not? I don't really get it.

BTW. MagnaFlow is at www.car-sound.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom