cut and turn on soa

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by juanix, May 26, 2003.

1. juanix

juanix

im a bit hesitant to do the cut and turn for the soa of my 40,for the fear of not doing it right and destroying it in the process.i have a few questions.where exactly do i cut?how deep should the cut be or how will i know if i cut enough or too much? what degree of turning would be optimal using stock springs?
    would the angles be good enough if i reverse my springs so as not to do the cut and turn? ???

2. Eskimo

Eskimo SILVER Star

Go slowly.. I cut just inside of the factory weld on the end of the knuckle.. Cut about 1/4" down, and then pound on the axle / knuckle with a BFH, and look in there with a light, and you should be able to see a crack the goes around.. once you can see that, you're deep enough.

It's kinda nerve-racking the first one...but after that, it's pie.

I'd go 16* total rotation. that gives 11* for the pinion, and 5* for caster. I went 18*, and the pinion is 2* above centered.. &nbsp:Drives like a dream on the road, (SO/SR, stock 40 springs)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.