Custom HZJ79 from parts, built in the US! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just read through the thread after a few years. Damnation Sean, what a debacle. Sorry to read it went in the toilet. Hope you can get some money back on the sale and put it to good use (cruiser related or not).

Maybe park it up for a few months while you drive the 40 around. It sounds like you need a good break from this build but your so close now it's a shame to throw in the towel.

Anyone know if this could be licensed in California?

Depends what it is registered as now.

@yooper dude just keep plugging away. The more you drive it the more reliable it will become as you work through each gremlin. My 79 was same way... went through fuel system, transmission/crawler (4 times), steering (3 boxes), and a few other odds/ends. But it's still my favorite cruiser and these days it's damn reliable... just took a few hiccups to get there.

It just keeps letting me down. The drivetrain is now nearly bulletproof but the steering, electrics, fuel supply, etc. gremlins are wearing me down. I still can't trust it to do a job for me in a pinch, and I would definitely not ever trust it to take my family on a long unsupported expedition, which is what a LandCruiser is for. I realized it was time when I got my 35 year old FJ40 out of winter storage, it started instantly, and I was relieved to be driving something rock solid reliable again for a change. I'm too old for this s***.

I'll post a for sale thread sometime in the next few weeks, need to get the tome of information together and take some photos, etc.

Not sure what the newb laughing above is about...
I apologize you posted this on April 1st so I assumed it was a joke. Sorry it is not working out for you.

Sorry about the 70, but warms my heart the 40 still makes you happy :)

Knew I let that one go to the right home.

I just went through the entire thread and attempted to replace the photos that were broken links. I was able to fix about 3/4 of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom