Custom 35" tire cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my Escape Gear cover in the mail the other day. Almost missed it because the box was smaller than I expected. Finally got it on the new spare today. Really nice looking piece of gear. If it wears as well as I expect, I will be very pleased.
20210818_202331.jpg

20210818_202357.jpg

Let's line that up a bit better. I know you can do it ;)

Let's line that up a bit better. I know you can do it ;)
I know, I know. If you can believe it, that was the second attempt at getting it square to the vehicle. Sigh...guess I'll have to try again. Good news is once it's on, it is NOT accidentally coming off. The bad news is once it's on, it's not accidentally coming off. :D

Really nice product, no?

I'd hate to have that nice of a cover exposed to the UV, but I guess that's better than the tire?
Exactly. Yes, it will get beat by the sun - but my brand new spare won't. I ain't about the whole crispy/hard tire thing. Unfortunately my truck gets parked outside 24/7 so I felt a cover was necessary after getting brand new tires.

@Wrencher93 I got the same one, came in very quick.
I was thinking a UV canvas spray like 303 to keep it from fading but not too worried. I've been looking for something like this forever, so it's great to finally have it!

The best part about spare covers is they will help extend the life of the spare so you can use the same spare for 2 or even 3 sets of tires depending on how long you run a set of tires.

Is it as necessary if you run a 5-tire rotation?
If I actually rotated my spare tire than I wouldn't use a spare cover. But my experience is that most spares never get rotated lol.

Looking at these escape gear covers more I see that escape gears lists a 500g canvas as the material. The 1000D mil spec cordura that retrofit off-road uses will definitely be a stronger longer lasting material that will be less prone to UV damage.

I am glad I went with the retrofit off-road cover even though it cost more.

The best part about spare covers is they will help extend the life of the spare so you can use the same spare for 2 or even 3 sets of tires depending on how long you run a set of tires.
I can see the benefit there but I will rotate my spare. The cover is there to keep whichever tire is up there from getting cooked. I know people argue about whether it's worth it or not - well, it was to me. UV destroys everything and I'd rather it not take $300 worth of tire with it. Call it overkill but it's the route I chose.

I can see the benefit there but I will rotate my spare. The cover is there to keep whichever tire is up there from getting cooked. I know people argue about whether it's worth it or not - well, it was to me. UV destroys everything and I'd rather it not take $300 worth of tire with it. Call it overkill but it's the route I chose.

Do you keep covers on your other 4 tires?

Modern tires should last at least 6 years even with UV exposure, they are designed for it. New tires don't come with instructions to keep out of the sun or garage storage only.....

Do you keep covers on your other 4 tires?

Modern tires should last at least 6 years even with UV exposure, they are designed for it. New tires don't come with instructions to keep out of the sun or garage storage only.....
I've actually considered it, mainly due to parking outside 100% of the time. Look man, I never said I was a subject matter expert or that not having a cover was foolish. In fact, I prefer the truck without one in terms of aesthetics. I chose to put a cover on my spare because I think a spare tire mounted on top or on the back of a vehicle receives a disportionate dose of direct sunlight. When you think about how many hours of exposure that adds up to when you never garage your vehicle you start to realize it's a high number. So, right or wrong, there is now a cover on my spare. You may be 100% correct about not covering it...but now I don't need to guess. And, if the mood ever strikes me, it takes about 10 seconds to remove with zero consequences. So I'm pretty happy with my completely biased, personal choice. :flipoff2:

The above sold me on the equipt and it lived up to the hype. Very nice. Took me a few tries to get aligned to cdan specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom