Cup Holders - How to make (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of the other posts has taken a tangent to where all 80 discussions end up - '...love the truck, but the cup holder suck'. Well, I originally posted an overview of a 'new and improved' cup holder on the 80's site, here are the highlights.

The cup holder beside the driver is a PITA to use while driving and is too small, the console one is too small, easy to block and hard to reach.

While the idea of the dash cup holder is interesting, I found the dash mounted cup holder on my Saab to be a bit problematic. Prone to shaking a drink all over my shifter, blocks a large part of the stereo, only held certain sizes of drinks and lots of eyes off the road time.

To solve this, I designed and made a simple dual cup holder that can hold large drinks (ie coffee not the super big gulp), is stable and can be reached conviently by both the passenger and driver without taking eyes off the road. The cup holder is mounted just forward of the center arm rest, like this:

LinkPhoto

(note the drinks are vertical, the aspect of the photo is a bit off)

or this

LinkPhoto

The original piece looks like this, after being painted

LinkPhoto

Some have asked if the drink does the 'diving board thing' - it is hard to tell from the photos, but if you look at the console, the drinks are basically supported all the way around except for a small 1/2" - 3/4" overhang.

To build, go buy a small sheet of sheet metal (can't remember the ga), a can of black spray paint, some jig saw blades for cutting metal, a few screws and two generic cup holders that meet your fancy (total cost for me ~US$20). Use cardboard to make a template that works for your drink holder.

A few mods I would make: (1) try to find sturdy cup holders, I broke one of the arms on one of mine throwing a pack into the truck (easy to replace) and (2) mine is mounted to the underside of the lid to the bottom portion of the console, so I can't open it with drinks loaded :slap:. &nbsp:Don't mount yours to the lid, mount it to the base.

It's seen real world testing for the last few months and I love it!

Cheers, Hugh :beer:

Did the armrest portion of the center console change from the early 80 series to the 95+ Cruisers? I know that the rest of the dash did, but that console looks somewhat different as well.

Ah, it doesn't matter. I got the A442F :G

Rogue,
Hugh sports an LX450, that console is a bit different as it has a wulfer :D in it where the 80 has a pocket just ahead of the lid. The design should work fine in an 80, just no speaker to drown underneath.

&nbsp:Dan

How in the world can Hugh live without that pocket!?! Mine is full of old receipts, loose change, napkins (used and new), pens, pencils, nuts/bolts/screws and who knows what else.

Now I'm *really* glad I found a LC before an LX. :G

-B-

How in the world can Hugh live without that pocket!?!  Mine is full of old receipts, loose change, napkins (used and new), pens, pencils, nuts/bolts/screws and who knows what else.

-B-
Give up the deep thumping base for a pocket? Come on - I'm actually thinking of being a contrarian and totally 'slamming' my truck Bling, BLING! :eek:

Receipts get dumped in the DS door storage and all the misc stuff is in the top part of the center console (small flashlight, knife, glass hammer, pens, etc

Change in the 'ash tray'

Cheers, Hugh :beer:

I'll ask the all important question...
how did you get more than one picture in the same post?

Just below the "message" box there is ONE field that says "attach" ...?

Matt

Matt,
Like we had to do it on SOR....

[.img.] //http: your URL [./img.] (Remove dots)

-B-

Beo
Picture posting advice from you? I thought you couldn't post pictures yet?
I just saw that you successfully posted a picture of a light switch and assumed you'd moved past the global destruction issues. ;)

Matt,
I now have me a kewl avatar, a sig line, can post images to my web site, color in my messages and I can finally attach pictures!  There's nothing left to learn here on ih8mud so I'll just leave and move on to PBB.  :tear:

I can still hit that Global Destruct button without moving from this chair so don't make me mad.  Oh, and since it's right next to the panic button you don't want to do anything that would make me anxious either. :G

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom