Cummins 6BT help .. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pistonpete

SILVER Star
Threads
Allright guys, so i got my hands on a 95 2500 2wd with a 6BT and a new auto( ?? ) trans with upgrades done it.
I have been lurking on a few builds out there and learned im more mixed up than before.. ( ok i 'm stupid ) ha...
I will not be uesing this offroad, its for highway use only. For when i drive across Canada for work ( i am sick of junk new trucks )so...
I would like to be auto, and use as much Yota as possible..
I"m not to worried about fitting it in, its more the electrical side of it, fuel tank, etc..........

ANY help,heads up, suggestion's would be great..

Insulation, lots of insulation...(for noise, they are rattle traps)

Compare the weight to the original motor, you may need to beef up the front springs

Realistically other than finding an adapter for the tcase you shouldn't have to change much. Depends on which rig you are putting it in the BJ,HJ or FJ. Diesels may have some wiring you can use for the BT's preheat and the 62 already has a return line to the tank if the BT returns to the tank

Don't get rid of anything till you are done. From the donor or the recepient...

Good luck and keep us posted, pics are always great

Tony

use the stock gasser fuel tank yah? I dont see why not thats what I did with my diesel, I am assuming this is going in a fj. Is this the rust trap you saved? electrical is pretty easy if you want it to be. Depends of if you want to set up relays and glow plug timers ect. That engine is pre computer yah?

Depending on your needs the swap is not too difficult.
First some questions what kind of truck is it going in 60 or 62?
What power levels are you looking at from the cummins?
Do you want to have 4wd?

I plan on reusing my gas tank for my swap.
It is very easy to tie the Cummins into the Cruiser electrical harness.
You can reuse your radiator depending on engine placement.
Adapting a Dodge auto to the split case might be doable but you would need a custom adapter.
Using the np205 on the back would be easier, but for road use I would look into swapping the Dana 70 into the cruiser instead of running the Toyota rear.
If 4x4 isn't a necessity I would go that route and not run a front driveshaft. Keeping the toyota front axle.
The Cummins is about 250-300 lbs heavier than the 2F so I would put some AALs in the front minimum to deal with that.
If you are not SOA you will probably want to look into the conversion to give clearance on the front axle.
The 6BT is not as loud as a 4BT but some sound deadening couldn't hurt. Also it is a good idea to locktite everything you work on.

Any other questions feel free to ask, or take a look at my build. I am currently in the middle of a 6BT swap myself.
I have a link to it in my signature.

I would recomend

6BT, Heavy Duty Turbo 400, Split Case Adaptor to a Toyota Split case.

SOA with 2" lift springs, 4:11 gearing

The Heavy Duty Turbo 400 came behind Cummins 4BTA and 6B in the Frito-Lay trucks.
FJ 45 030.jpg
FJ 45 031.jpg
FJ 45 032.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for the help.. I plan on putting this in my Bj60 which came with the 3b of coarse.. I do have my 62 ?? not sur 100 % yet but i think it will go in the 60 as i am less afraid of cutting things for exhaust and such.. It has the man-a-fre inch lift to it and i know now that maybe alcan springs for the front will be a ness, or maybe even airbags ??
Yes Stevo i am following your thread..
I do want to keep my 4WD and hope not to change diffs ??
Can it be done ??
Also can you or would it be easy' to put a h55 behind it all ??

I also plan on 35's or 37's if i have to??!!
thunder bay 007.jpg

use the stock gasser fuel tank yah? I dont see why not thats what I did with my diesel, I am assuming this is going in a fj. Is this the rust trap you saved? electrical is pretty easy if you want it to be. Depends of if you want to set up relays and glow plug timers ect. That engine is pre computer yah?

Hey Snow, could you please elaborate ???? You see this is the part where I SUCK !! Haha...:bang:

Insulation, lots of insulation...(for noise, they are rattle traps)

Compare the weight to the original motor, you may need to beef up the front springs

Realistically other than finding an adapter for the tcase you shouldn't have to change much. Depends on which rig you are putting it in the BJ,HJ or FJ. Diesels may have some wiring you can use for the BT's preheat and the 62 already has a return line to the tank if the BT returns to the tank

Don't get rid of anything till you are done. From the donor or the recepient...

Good luck and keep us posted, pics are always great

Tony

True my freind... my answer on that is MORE AMPS !!

I would recomend

The Heavy Duty Turbo 400 came behind Cummins 4BTA and 6B in the Frito-Lay trucks.

Frito trucks only or... ??

Frito trucks only or... ??

A Frito-Lay, Bread Trucks or most box trucks with diesels use them. Even UPS uses them behind thier 6B Cummins.

The (amature) drag strip race cars also use them since they handle 600hp and have square cut gears in 1st and 2nd. They basically will not pop out of gear when extraordinary amount of HP and Torque is applied.

A Frito-Lay, Bread Trucks or most box trucks with diesels use them. Even UPS uses them behind thier 6B Cummins.

The (amature) drag strip race cars also use them since they handle 600hp and have square cut gears in 1st and 2nd. They basically will not pop out of gear when extraordinary amount of HP and Torque is applied.

Understood.. So what about whats behind the 6bt ?? In the truck i have anyways??

You could use the auto you have along with a divorced NP205 if you have enough room behind the auto. Just make sure it is a passenger side drop model.
Or you might be able to swap out the tailhousing on that trans and find a transfercase that bolts up to it.

You can run the cruiser axles if you keep the power levels stock on the Cummins and are light on the skinny pedal.
Cody C is on his 3rd third member on his truck and if I remember correctly he has not turned up the power on his motor.

I like to stomp it sometimes so that's why I swapped in a 14 Bolt.

Get the 4x4 shaft and convert the trans and use an NP205. Don't worry about the offset. Cumminsforum.com is a wealth of info. A full dressed 6bt is pushing 1200lbs. I converted a 79 chevy crew cab dually 4x4 using an early 12 valve that only needed 1 12olt wire to run. Great motor with tons of options. If I wasn't putting a Lexus 4.0 v8 in my 62 it would get a 6bt. I used the chrysler transmission (A518) and the dodge NP205. I built the trans myself and did all the work but the intercooler.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?22200-FJ60-to-Chrysler-automatic-adapter

i strongly recomend overdrive for hiway use with a cummins...especially trips as long as what your suggesting. ( a trip ivé done several times myself),unless you plan on seriously large tires or hi gearing...

the above link points to a vendor on www.4btswaps.com
never purchased from him,but design looks solid.the crysler 47rh is found behind the cummins 6bt in the 94 and 95 dodge pickups,and makes for an easy,electronic free swap.o/d and lockup can be had with manual,or hydraulic pressure switches.

the A518 is found behind the 89 to 93 dodge trucks,and is even easier to hook up,but not as rugged,and does not have a lock up converter.using the adaptor,and stock split case will allow you to keep your stock rear axle.by using a crysler auto,you get to use easy to find factory parts,which are cheaper and easier to source...good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the lead on 4btswaps, lots of info there ( almost too much ) he,he...
its a little more involved than i thought, to do right anyways.
got me thinking now it might be better to install in my 62,since its already an auto, 12volt,etc..

Well keep it coming please, i need the help..
thunder bay 001.jpg

I would recomend

That 400 is starting too look good, seems a lot shorter that the 47rh
which could be better for the driveline with a NP205

011.jpg

Convert that Dodge trans to 4wd and it gets a lot shorter too. Don't forget that the Turbo 400 is not an overdrive trans while the Dodge trans is. If all you are doing is highway I would think long and hard about making that Dodge trans work to keep the OD.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom