Cullowhee Maintenance Proposal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
[SIZE=-1]"We didnt inherit this land from our ancestors, we are just borrowing it from our grandchildren"[/SIZE]
I went up to Cullowhee today b/c I just simply couldn't wait to go wheel in the snow and I, being fortunate enough to know of such a beautiful place, made the pilgrimage and endulged. I ran into a few of our Rover friends who camped out up there last night and a few other Jeeps, but not much other traffic; only tracks. Lots and Lots of heavy deep tracks.
The winter weather has attracted a lot of traffic as well as loosened soil and made things slick. Because of this, holes have gotten deeper and wider, ruts deeper and longer, and some hills impossible. We all know this is part of wheeling, but I think that if we really want to take such good care of Cullowhee and preserve it the way I've been taught since I joined UC, then we need to do something about this. I think some of the biggest holes and ruts should be filled in some, baracades rebuilt where torn down, signs replaced, and any litter visible from the trail cleaned up.
I know that for some, a bit of this, such as filling in holes/ruts, seems crazy cuz after all that is why we lifted, locked and got bigger tires, right? But i think that this will keep Cullowhee preserved like it is, prevent trail closures and keep it wheelable for more mildly-built vehicles in the club that like to enjoy it. Another reason is that due to many of the holes/ruts/washouts and obstacles, vehicles are starting to go off the trails taking more and more "re-routes" in order to avoid them, thus only making the hole much wider and making even more erosion. We close hiking trails frequently to promote regrowth in the forest, so why not "rebuild" the trails a bit so it doesn't get so eroded and impassible that we can't all enjoy it or even worse, the Rangers/Game-Wardens lock it up. Perhaps we can even get the Rover Club or any other clubs we know about that frequent the trails up there to help out.
I realize I'm new to the club and I have limited knowledge/experience of Cullowhee, but I saw the impact today since the last time I was there and just don't want it to get worse. I only want to bring awareness. Any thoughts??

Karl - JP and I have been tossing around the idea of trail maintenance at Cullowhee. It is definitely needed. I was supposed to take the lead on this but have been slack in that regard. Thanks for bringing this back up. I'll get back on it and if you don't mind I'm going to ask for some assistance from you! :grinpimp:

Yes sir! I'm there. It really came to mind in several places this wkend. Be in touch! Anyone else's thoughts???

good points. I have thought at times that when there are big holes or ruts that the average vehicle can't go through is kind of a good thing. It acts as a barricades for idiots who are just out to tear things up.

Proper water breaks and diversions should for sure be cleaned out and maintained.

Well, I guess as UC Land Use Queen (I changed my title, "officer" sounds so...military), I will join the conversation!

Great ideas from one and all! And I am really excited to see the club wanted to "adopt" and area to help maintain. And what better place than Cullowhee!

If I may offer some suggestion on how to get the ball rolling here.

The first thing that we need to do is homework. Remember that we can't just go out and make changes to the land because we don't have those rights without permission from the FS. So we need to find out some background info and then use it to build the relationship with the local FS Ranger District (which I think is the Wayah and then maybe part of the Pisgah?).

Each "unit" of the forest has a land management prescription that is set out in the Land and Resource Management Plan (LRMP, which I have). We need to find out where the roads we are interested in fall and what those presriptions are. Once we know that, we can talk about how we can support the USFS's designated uses for the area and maintain the open roads for use.

I would emphasize here that this area is NOT a designated OHV Trail System under the classification used by the USFS. SO WE CAN NOT TREAT IT AS SUCH. We need to make sure that we are clear on the use we support, and that it matches the LRMP.

So, once we know what we need to do, we can work on some suggestions and then start to work with the local Rangers to come up with solutions for the area in partnership.

Action items I see are:

1) Map of the area we want to "adopt"
2) Determinination of which "unit" the area is in
3) Identification of they uses set forth in the LRMP
4) Preliminary maintenance ideas to approach the FS with
5) Contact USFS Rangers and develop relationships

How's that sound? Comments, thoughts, suggestions? Good start? Too much?

Sounds good Heather. I've already looked into much of this. The FS has already mapped these roads and set use restrictions. I have that at home I think in the Piggie. I'll pull them out this weekend. I also have a contact courtesy of David Davis' wife that we need to talk with.

Wonderful!! I'm glad I'm finally getting some good responses on this after 80+ hits. This is all really good info. and having a good relationship w/ the FS is crucial to keeping Cullowhee open and preserved as it is. It shows them that there are a lot of people using it responsibly as apposed to a bunch of dumb rednecks wheelin w/ a Bud light in one hand all day and destroying everything. I had no idea what all would be involved in actually maintaining out there and I wasn't sure if we would be stepping on anyone's toes or not.
Thanks for your help and ideas. Keep 'em coming everyone! Steve, I think I'll be home this wkend if you wanna discuss some of the info. you have. I need a work wkend for the Jeep so I'll be in TR.

This is great that UC is taking the lead on something like this. I have heard nothing but great things about Cullowhee, and can't wait to get up there to see it.

Guys, when it comes time for manual labor, I'll make myself available. Keep us posted.

Carp, all I can say is that you are truly one deprived individual. I'm pretty new to the club but I have atleast been blessed to be able to make the pilgrimage. I know you've heard descriptions, but the best way I was able to explain it to my friends is simply that I have seen Heaven. You have not. The rest of the world is deprived.

Thanks for taking interest though and wanting to help. It is and certainly will be much appreciated.

No problem Heather. As I said earlier to Steve, I'll be in Gville area this wkend as well if ya'll meet there sometime. I'd like to learn more about the steps it's gonna take to do anything. Also, another thing I noticed this wkend that I neglected to mention earlier was that I saw a number of gates off the main trails that were opened. These gates were closed last time but they certainly looked inviting to venture beyond and explore. I'm hoping these are seasonal gates that are left open certain times of the yr.

Carp, all I can say is that you are truly one deprived individual. I'm pretty new to the club but I have atleast been blessed to be able to make the pilgrimage. I know you've heard descriptions, but the best way I was able to explain it to my friends is simply that I have seen Heaven. You have not. The rest of the world is deprived.

I have seen the pictures and having grown up 20 minutes from Cullowhee, I've got an idea of the beauty. I will really try to get up there in the future (of course, the Fun Run is out due to family :frown:)

Alright, I hope we're not gonna let this die again, now are we??

Here is where I see this needing to go.

It looks like Karl, JP and I are interested in working on this. We will need some of Heather's time for her knowledge but I know her time coming up will be limited. After a pow-wow w/ Heather we need to speak with the Forest Service and see what they have that we could assist with.

Does anyone else have any better ideas?

Count me in for manual labor.

Thank you, sir Marshall. I guess I overlooked that post, so it was still good to revive this subject. A meeting with the forest service up there would be great! Now, how do we do that? Does anyone have any connections or do I need to just start making phone calls? or does someone else start making phone calls?

Commenting in the other thread about the meeting.

As for a pow wow with me, bring it on. It will be easiest on the phone just because all of Feb is taken up with learning how to have this baby and then actually care for it.

Assistance

I will offer my back for manual labor and limited knowledge of the Federal morass we call the FS. Need a good reason, othre than freezing to death, of making the pilgamage to Cul.

Mike, have you seen the pics from the last trip?? You can always stay at the cabin for the Feb. run if you really need to, but just wheeling it and seeing it is well worth freezing to death. Thanks for wanting to pitch in and help though. It's gonna be much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom