CRUNCH - the ARB saves another trip... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, a few years ago I put ARBs on both trucks as an anti-deer measure. I figured with all the late night western driving we do it was only a matter of time and that while it would not prevent damage it would at least allow us to get home with headlights and radiator intact rather than ruining a trip. Well, a few months later the truck was parked at a remote ramp while we were out on a lake for several days on the boat. Someone hit the truck hard enough to shove it sideways a foot and left a note. Far from home, had the ARB not absorbed it with mere gouges, we'd have been disabled.

Fast forward to yesterday. We're on our way to Utah to ski. My 9yo son suddenly had to go #2 and we pulled off an exit to find only a backwoods bar. Had to talk my way in to use the restroom for him. Came back out and put the truck in D and had just leaned on the gas when WHAM! - hit something freaking solid. Jumped out and in their parking lot was about a 20" tall steel pipe a foot in diameter and filled with concrete, painted a perfectly disguised flat medium brown. The point of contact was directly in front of the A/C drier and driver's headlight. It crushed the ARB side wing so it hit the body and marred the paint, then rebounded back out. It left a deep dent between the blinker and the center of the frame.

I was astounded that was it. Don't get me wrong, the ARB has an impressive dent in it, but the impact was absolutely amazing. I'd love to see a video as I'm curious how much the rear end went up. We were probably going walking speed - about 4mph and I have no doubt it would have taken out the radiator, headlight and A/C - easily $2000 worth of damage. Not to mention we'd have been stranded, need a tow and basically heading back home. Instead, I could clean off the brown paint and you couldn't see if from across the street. I drove back onto the freeway grinning from ear to ear, though I was certainly embarrassed.

I'll post pictures when I get back home, but striking a solid object like that with a 3 ton truck is an astronomical amount of energy to absorb the picture will surely not fully transmit. I am absolutely amazed and again offer kudus to what is proving to be an extremely well engineered product. That's two trip-ending incidents this ARB has let us simply drive away from. The impact shook the filaments out of both big Hella 4000s, so I'll be getting some while here for the drive home.

And the concrete filled post? Nothing. Not a speck of the ARB powder coat came off and not even a slight mar. Instead, we've got some paint on our bumper. I simply cannot give this product a higher rating.

DougM

Ha, I would love to see my tinfoil bumper hit that same thing.... I hate that bumper.

Maybe someday ill upgrade to a arb.

Makes me glad my ARB is in the mail:D

I wasn't getting much use out of the tiller I sold to pay for it. I'm hoping to get zero use out of the ARB, except for hanging a winch on...but you never know.

Good story. I have an ARB on my 93. Haven't hit anything yet but it's good to know that this bumper can take some abuse if I ever do.

Doug, you must to be aware of your surrondings at all times!:D.
I know everyone know a days wants the tube like bumpers and the fancy smancy short bus bumper, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy my roo bar again. I wouldn't compromise on its tank like design. I think my favorite part of my cruiser is my ARB.

I'm OK with an accumulated 350,000 miles on 80s and this is the first whack I've delivered with one. But yes - situational awareness is paramount. However, as with all things in life there's a value equation to be had here.

ARB: $900.
Being able to drive away from bashing a cement filled post: Priceless.

DougM

I'm OK with an accumulated 350,000 miles on 80s and this is the first whack I've delivered with one. But yes - situational awareness is paramount. However, as with all things in life there's a value equation to be had here.

DougM

Now that, is money well spent! How many other mods that folks have invested in have actually and practically paid for itself?

DougM

Glasses: cheaper than an ARB? :p

Reminds me of a certain movie:
protectedimage.php.jpg

Just kidding Doug, I'm glad things worked out ok for you. :cheers:
protectedimage.php.jpg

Counted a dozen deer carcasses on my 3-hour drive home from O'Hare last night. Wishing I had an ARB all the time. Maybe next year...

Yeah, the deer are everywhere here too. I think the ARB could take it well if you were able to mash the brakes and get the impact down into the 45mph zone - dunno about pegging one with the cruise still set at 75. That's a lot of energy to manage. But as I've said about these bumpers all along I think even at high speed you'd still benefit from what I consider the chief advantage of continuing the trip. With a high speed hit you'd arrive home with a bent hood, possible frame damage and badly bashed ARB. But being able to continue to drive home or finish a trip is worth big money to me.

Money well spent.

Some guys here have said they hit deer with an ARB at 60mph and didn't damage sheet metal. I dunno. I'm more worried about getting one through the windshield, the 4R just feels a little lower. Debbie's dad made a good business of fixing deer accidents for decades, some came in through car windshields, but never on a truck. Bull bars I saw in northern Australia often had a bar across the base of the windshield, above the wipers, seems like it'd stop a deer sliding up.

Last year one of the guys in the shop saw a deer jump up and go through the left windshield of a trash truck on Blue Star. Luckily, the driver was driving from the right side.

Last edited:
reminds me of these moose and the sedan pics that were all over the Web a couple of years ago...

I have an ARB on the 07 Tacoma cuz of a deer. Thankfully only the lower plastic area was damaged and the ARB was a straight swap. Cost less than a new Tacoma plasti-bumper:grinpimp:

Yeah, the deer are everywhere here too.

Oh really, where exactly is this?:idea: Hunted the Challis area last year for deer and got tag soup! Did however call in a 6x6 monster bull and ended up missing him at 150 yds:whoops:

96r50,

The Snowman takes out the bikes is Classic.

My ARB cloned front bumper saved my ass also.... although in this situation it was a huge ass tree that did the sneaking up on me. :rolleyes:

I hit a deer on Sunday coming back from the LSLC Roundup with my mini-truck on the trailer behind me. I saw it in time to hit the brakes and slow down to maybe 40 or so. It was a solid strike to the drivers side of the ARB, but no damage to the bumper at all. With a stock bumper, I'm sure I would have needed a new fender, bumper, grill and possibly a hood.

We call them Bull Bars or Roo Bars over here in Australia, they have saved my bacon a few times though the years. I hit a Big red Kangaroo at 120 Kms/hr and only bent one of my spot lights, and kept going. Nothing i could do for the roo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom