Cruiser shower (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice install, Marshall. If you are going to suck water out of lakes/steams like I do, be sure to put a strainer at the end of your suction hose. An in-line filter also saves your pump impeller. Some good stuff for this at West Marine.

I use a garden sprinkler for the intake. this keeps most dirt out. And I have a strainer on the input of my Surefo pump. I also found that the european low flow shower heads work better since it slows the flow down and lets it heat up more. I have the bigger one with a wire that turns the adjustment to shut it on and offf. WArning don't turn it all the way off, or wen you tun it on you could get burned.

I made my own heat exchanger out of copper. Modeled after a salt water boat colling system heat exchanger.

TLCA_Paul said:
I use a garden sprinkler for the intake. this keeps most dirt out. And I have a strainer on the input of my Surefo pump. I also found that the european low flow shower heads work better since it slows the flow down and lets it heat up more. I have the bigger one with a wire that turns the adjustment to shut it on and offf. WArning don't turn it all the way off, or wen you tun it on you could get burned.

I made my own heat exchanger out of copper. Modeled after a salt water boat colling system heat exchanger.

I too use a garden sprinkler for an intake. I also wrap it in panty hose
for additional screening of particules.
It's also a good idea to add RV pink stuff anti-freeze to the system
when it's not being used and freezing weather is around. Residual
water in the system can burst a heat exchanger.

TLCA_Paul said:

Wow this is an old thread. My other thread in outfitting must have sparked this thread.

Couple of notes. The heat exchanger I use is so effecient that it will handle a pretty good flow. My pump is 3gpm and I can almost run it wide open with a highflow sprinkler head. In 40 degree water and still put out 90 to 100 degrees of water. And the lower the flow as you have noted the hotter it is. I wouldn't dare cut it off and then sit under it while I cut it back on. That would probably send you to the hospital. 175 degree water on you is an instant rid to the hospital.

Well I've decided to take the plung and build one. I ordered the heat exchanger today for $110. My budget is under $200 and that includes a pump, strainer, enclosure and all hardware. Will be interesting if I can pull it off and make it work also. If I can I might just make a hundred or so and sell them on e-bay as a kit. The heat exchanger goes down by half at 100 pieces. Might be an interesting venture.

if you mass produce PM me I will buy one:cheers:

Dang, capt. Jim.....that thing looks like a meth lab!!! :)

Last edited:
Heat Exchanger question

hey, i am planning on doing the same thing, if you could please tell me how well your heat exchanger works and what pump and so forth you are using it will really help me out.

i am planning on making a 10 pass shell and tube exchanger with an 18" long 3" copper pipe i have and some line set tubing...

Well I've decided to take the plung and build one. I ordered the heat exchanger today for $110. My budget is under $200 and that includes a pump, strainer, enclosure and all hardware. Will be interesting if I can pull it off and make it work also. If I can I might just make a hundred or so and sell them on e-bay as a kit. The heat exchanger goes down by half at 100 pieces. Might be an interesting venture.

I'm planning on trying to build it before I go to Hemingway camping in two weeks so I'll keep ya'll informed with pics on the progress.

Here is the heat exchanger.

brazed-plate-unit.jpg

The highly efficient design and excellent value of SEC Brazed Plate Heat Exchangers (BPHE) makes them a wise choice for your heat transfer applications. Produced to the highest standards utilizing the latest production technology SEC Brazed Plate heat exchangers meet the demanding quality requirements of ASME, CRN, and ISO 9002.

SEC Brazed Plate heat exchangers are pressure rated for 435psi @ 437°F copper brazed, 752°F nickel brazed. Brazed Plate heat exchangers have a 1 year warrantee. They are available in Double Wall, Air Gap, and All Titanium, with threaded, solder or flange connections.

SEC Brazed Plate Heat Exchangers consist of specially formed stainless steel plates, vacuum brazed together to form a highly efficient heat transfer device. The corrugated pattern stamped into each plate produces turbulent flows. This results in high heat transfer coefficients. The plate size, number of plates, and connection sizes are varied to match the customer's heat transfer requirements precisely. Individual units have capacities up to 4,000,000 btu or 50 tons for refrigeration.

I know that this an old thread but where did you get the exchanger and are you still happy with it???

Good upgrade Marshall. nothing like a hot shower in the middle of BFE.

Hey Marshall...this would be a good project for the group Hamom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom