Cruiser Shopping....2014 vs 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short, are there compelling reasons to go for the '16 over the '14?

Starting the shopping process for a 200 Series, with a purchase in May/June. I am looking at 2013/2014 models with a budget of $45k, and hoping to stay under 100,000 miles. Perusing the interwebs, I have found some 2016 models right at 100k, or a little more, for $50-55k. Is it worth stretching my budget a bit to go for a 2016 model, with a little more mileage on them?

They're awfully similar. I recently made the move, and can recommend the newer ('16+). The differences aren't earth shattering, but I like the bigger brakes and transmission. The LED headlights are a huge upgrade. The infotainment is slightly better. The interior trim seems slightly nicer (for example, the brushed metal instead of silver painted plastic). The front body clip (fenders, hood and bumper) looks more aggressive. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Last edited:
I have both a 2015 (74k miles) and 2016 (73k miles) and I prefer the 6 speed. Other features on the 2016 make it worthwhile to get the 2016+ MY, for ME! They both are amazing. I will eventually sell my 2016 (wife's ride) and get a newer model, probably keep the 2015 forever, who knows!?

Still clunky compared to the 6 speed. I feel up and downshifts occasionally under different driving conditions.

I have both a 2015 (74k miles) and 2016 (73k miles) and I prefer the 6 speed. Other features on the 2016 make it worthwhile to get the 2016+ MY, for ME! They both are amazing. I will eventually sell my 2016 (wife's ride) and get a newer model, probably keep the 2015 forever, who knows!?

Have 14 LX with 105k and 20 Cruiser. 14LX shifts smoother.

Besides the obvious styling update, the '16+ have bigger brakes and far lower gearing the lower gears which can make a big different when towing heavy loads or fitting large diameter tires, or both together. Particularly with larger 33" and 34" tires, those functional differences can mean the need to re-gear or not. The 8-speed has low ratios on par with a 6-speed and 4.88s. Which is part of the reason when unladen, that some feel the 8-speed is not as smooth as it has gears for days.

Yeah I’ll stick with my 6 speed in my 2015. Should be good for another decade or two. Wasn't a fan of the 8 speed i drove. Nor the latest IP. The buttons to me just feel cheap. Maybe someone makes an aluminum upgrade?

Earlier models seem to be more utilitarian to me compared to the latter. Which is why I prefer them. Not saying I wouldn't buy the later models. Both are tried and true. Might just have to come.down to personal preference for you. Good luck

I went with 2015 as the interior colors for 2016+ IMHO are fugly and I did not want some of the active safety measures. Was not concerned about the tranny. Regarding your search mine took me 18 months to find something. Look at the recent buyers listing on the forum to get an idea of what people are paying.

I‘m not so familiar with the LC safety feature change from 2015 to 2016, but I think that the following is true. The latter has blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert, both based on radar. Not sure if these mean much to most folks but I like safety features.

I purposely limited my range to '13-'15 for the LX's, because I prefer the "fondle me" screens (touch screen) over the joysticks. But, I think the LC's still have touch screens in '16?

I purposely limited my range to '13-'15 for the LX's, because I prefer the "fondle me" screens (touch screen) over the joysticks. But, I think the LC's still have touch screens in '16?
Correct on 16+ Cruisers touch screen.

Can confirm 20LX interface is an abomination.

It was already said but 2016 head lights are best headlights I have owned in any vehicle. Did run home from parents on Friday night about 100+ miles in Fog and all I can say is that alone worth extra money. I like my 8 speed but never had 6 speed so can't compare. I had TSB update done on my 8 speed i like its shifting now much better than prior to update. I tow a boat at least once if not twice a month. The boat is only about 3500lb but I don't really notice it being back their.

I went with 2015 as the interior colors for 2016+ IMHO are fugly and I did not want some of the active safety measures. Was not concerned about the tranny. Regarding your search mine took me 18 months to find something. Look at the recent buyers listing on the forum to get an idea of what people are paying.

How is black "fugly?"

Long story short, are there compelling reasons to go for the '16 over the '14?

Starting the shopping process for a 200 Series, with a purchase in May/June. I am looking at 2013/2014 models with a budget of $45k, and hoping to stay under 100,000 miles. Perusing the interwebs, I have found some 2016 models right at 100k, or a little more, for $50-55k. Is it worth stretching my budget a bit to go for a 2016 model, with a little more mileage on them?
Since you're looking a half year prior to purchase, I suspect you'll be able to find a nice '16+ within your budget when the times comes. Don't worry so much about the 100K miles and concentrate on finding one with a good history. A good history beats low miles! You'll be fine next summer and the question of pre '16 or post '16 for that price won't even be an issue. The one wildcard is what prices will do once everyone realizes there are no more LCs in the pipeline. But if that affects prices, you'll be no better or worse off than everyone else.

... The one wildcard is what prices will do once everyone realizes there are no more LCs in the pipeline. ...

Yea, that is concerning me. I'm hoping there is a flood of 2016s and 2017s hitting the used markets, as those soccer moms and dads try to scoop up the final models.

Yea, that is concerning me. I'm hoping there is a flood of 2016s and 2017s hitting the used markets, as those soccer moms and dads try to scoop up the final models.

The prices will be inflated on new, as will trade in offers. The prices will be high.

Always buy the newest vehicle you can afford. The 16+ and especially the 18+. The 8 speed is awesome. I had a Tundra with the 6 and they don't compare. The 8 is so much better on long uphill roads. it will lock up the torque converter first and then downshift to 7th as opposed to the 6 shifting to 5th. Your tachometer doesnt lie. The difference is huge. Unless you are watching the tach you won't notice the downshift on the 8. The 6 speed is a great transmission but the 8 is next level.

The headlights on the 16+ are the best I have ever seen. I have owned Mercedes GL550 and 2 X5's. Both have awesome lights. Honestly you rarely need high beams on the LC, the lows have the smoothest widest beam with fantastic throw. Before I bought my LC I cross shopped an LX 570. On paper the 570 lights should own the LC's but they don't.

The 14 is a fantastic truck but the 16 plus is better in most every way. Good luck with whatever you end up with, you win eather way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom