Cruiser Question - looking at '02 w/ 47k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First Post - I am looking at an '02 w/47k miles. I don't want to spend over 30 since I want to budget for goodies. I was considering a Discovery, but I turned a little scared after researching them. For those with an '02 anything I should ask about (besides the normal service history). Thank you!

My reconmendation would be that you hold out for an 03-- they have the new 5spd trans., along with side curtain air bags as an option. At some point Mr. T changed to regular Unleaded. The looks also changed a bit--an 03 is very similar to both a 04, and 05. Also remember if you get an Lexus LX there is a patch to keep the susp in the high mode--means you can add an arb and not have to upgrade the suspension. I got the following info from Slees site.

Exterior

The front bumper and radiator grille design was changed.
changed
The rear back door name plate molding was changed
Running board design was changed
The roof rack was added as optional equipment
The rear turn-signal lights was changed from amber to clear
The roof-rail has been adopted as optional equipment.
275/65R17 tires with 17x8JJ-60 wheels are provided as standard equipment.
275/60R18 tires with 18x8JJ-60 wheels are provided as optional equipment.
Wheels were redesigned
Interior

The center cluster of the dashboard was changed
The combination meter design was changed
Added the new steering wheel with controls on the center pad
The pillar handles and coat hook was changed for the vehicles with side curtain airbags
The screen of the multi display was changed to a touch screen
A voice recognition system was added to the GPS system
Side and curtain shield airbags were adopted as optional equipment
Drive and passenger airbag system was changed to a dual-stage unit.
An RSAS (Rear Seat Audio System) was added as standard equipment.
Power tilt and telescoping features added to the steering column
Drivetrain

Engine Output increased to 235hp
Changed to a drive by wire with an accelerator position sensor on the accelerator pedal
An A750F 5 speed automatic transmission was added
Rack and pinion steering was changed to Variable Gear.
The throttle position sensor was changed to a no-contact unit.
Charcoal canister capacity increased and moved to above the spare tire.
Shift pattern for transmission was changed to a gate type.
The front and rear driveshafts were updated with stronger U-joints and larger tubes
Propeller Tube Diameter ’03 Model (A750F) ’02 Model (A343F)
Front 65.0 mm (2.6 in.) 54.0 mm (2.1 in.)
Rear 75.0 mm (3.0 in.) 65.0 mm (2.6 in.)
The differential gears were changed to a 4.1 ratio.
The tow hitch was offered as optional equipment
The rear cross member was changed to accept a towing hitch that can be bolted to the rear cross member.
Catalytic converters were changed
Radiator fin pitch was changed for better cooling
Alternator was changed to a high output segment conductor type
Fuel cutoff switch when airbags are deployed was added
Crank Hold Feature was added. This feature will keep the starter engaged, once the ignition switch is turned to the START position without having to keep the key in the START position.

the 03's look like a big jump in price (plus it looks like more things to break) - i am trying to get away with purchase and mods without the wifey beating me! =) It looks like the 01's and 02's are the same basically - i don't need the latest and greatest since it's going to be a fun beach toy and occassional 3 mile commuter to work

The 01 and 02 LC/LXs are essentially the same, though the 02s have more NAV systems in them (std in 02 LX). Check the service history if available. Check it over real well for rust and general perception of how it was cared for. Although the 100s are expensive SUVs, it seems people either baby them or abuse them. To me it was better to wait until I found one that had been well cared for and spend a little more. A well cared for 01 or 02 will almost look new and feel like new when driving it.

Don't ignore the internet sales dept at dealers and let them know what you are looking for. I found a certified LX for not much more than many private parties were asking for LC or LX. The Lexus CPO is 3 yr up to 100K with a "Platinum" type warrranty.

LXPearl said:
The 01 and 02 LC/LXs are essentially the same, though the 02s have more NAV systems in them (std in 02 LX). Check the service history if available. Check it over real well for rust and general perception of how it was cared for. Although the 100s are expensive SUVs, it seems people either baby them or abuse them. To me it was better to wait until I found one that had been well cared for and spend a little more. A well cared for 01 or 02 will almost look new and feel like new when driving it.

Don't ignore the internet sales dept at dealers and let them know what you are looking for. I found a certified LX for not much more than many private parties were asking for LC or LX. The Lexus CPO is 3 yr up to 100K with a "Platinum" type warrranty.

Also as mentioned before, the Lexus manual recommends more service than Toyota (diff/t-case fluid changes/ATF/brake flushes every 30K mi). Check the Toyota recommendations for the LC. IIRC, it says to inspect the diff fluids, even at 60K mi, unless you tow. Lexus CPO vehicles have full dealer service rec's. You can look up which dealer performed which service, then call them and asked what they do for that service. That's how I found out that the diff/t-case/ATF fluids in my CPO LX were done every 15K mi. I'm not exactly sure what Toyota CPO means. Does it mean they have full service rec's, or just that they did the 200 point inspection and you get a warranty? Either way, a little investigation might shed some light on the vehicle's history, and the more info you have, the better decision you can make. My main concerns over the long term are the big ticket items...any electronics/ECU's, exhaust manifolds, brake booster, etc. For that, a platinum warranty brings peace of mind. You will pay a couple of grand more for a CPO vehicle w/ warranty, but bottom line is (esp. in this country), you get what you pay for, which is why the LC/LX cost nearly twice as much as, say, a 4runner/Sequoia. I found that used LC prices (was looking at '03+) were the same if not more than used LX prices, and this was for both dealer and private party LC's w/ 70K mi vs. some CPO LX's with 40K mi. There's a lot more LX supply, esp with the newer models (LX's outsell LC's 2:1, plus people are more likely to trade them in after 2-3 yrs due to expiring leases, etc., hence the greater supply).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom