CRUISE MOAB 2022 ONSC planning thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SFROMAN

SILVER Star
Threads
WHEN: April 27 - May 01 2022.
For planning purposes and just to begin the discussion my initial plan is to take 2 travel days to get there 4 wheeling days minimum and 2 days to travel back.

Tentative itinerary:
***START TRAVEL CAN VARY BY ONE DAY DEPENDING ON WORK/VACATION SCHEDULE****

**FRIDAY 22APR potential travel day
**SATURDAY 23APR potential travel day
Sunday 24APR travel day
Monday 25APR EVENT
Tuesday 26APR EVENT
Wednesday 27APR EVENT
Thursday 28APR EVENT
Friday 29APR EVENT
Saturday, 30APR EVENT
Sunday, 01MAY DEPART driving day
Monday, 02MAY driving day

WHO:
To those I have spoke about it and any other ONSC member interested in attending the event

WHAT:
Planning thread for those that are interested in attending and wish to convoy together from North Carolina to Utah

WHERE:
Moab, Utah. More specifically the event is held at the Old Spanish Trail Arena.
Link to specific camping info for the event from this years event to give you an idea of the camping or lodging situation:

WHY: To represent ONSC out at an awesome TLCA event. To wheel on some cool trails. Also with a long wheeling trip like this it is always better to travel in numbers in case you have issues.

HOW: We will just have to keep an eye out for when the registration opens up for next year. This year it opened up on the last week of February but if you want to go you have to be ready to sign up as soon as registration opens up to ensure you get into the event ( I am not sure if there is a limited capacity for the event, especially with the whole covid thing). Once register You can trailer your junk or drive it. It really is up to you. My suggestion is that we convoy together on the way out there and back but I suppose you don’t ha e to do that if that is not your thing. But it definitely is nice to have help if you need it on the road.

This thread is open for questions, suggestions, comments and obviously planning for that might be interested.

By planning this far out I’m hoping it will be easier for some of you to be able to put it on your schedule.

So, who is in?

Last edited:
I'm in

Has anyone spoken with someone from Rising Sun/CM Committee? I had heard from someone that the dates might actually change.

I just pulled up the Spanish Trails Arena calendar and it shows a Jeepster/Commando event for these dates with CM tentatively scheduled the following week, April 27-30. I just checked the Rising Sun Club forum and I don't see this mentioned anywhere though.

I've been out there 2 of the last 3 years, great event put on by great people. Trails and views are ok too!

Has anyone spoken with someone from Rising Sun/CM Committee? I had heard from someone that the dates might actually change.

I just pulled up the Spanish Trails Arena calendar and it shows a Jeepster/Commando event for these dates with CM tentatively scheduled the following week, April 27-30. I just checked the Rising Sun Club forum and I don't see this mentioned anywhere though.

I've been out there 2 of the last 3 years, great event put on by great people. Trails and views are ok too!
Haven’t spoken with anybody from rising sun. I am going off the dates that they put out for next year.
It would suck if they changed the date after they posted a date. It would have been better if they posted a to be determined date if they were thinking about changing it.

I guess I will reach out to them to find out what’s up.

Thanks for the heads up

EDIT:
dates updated on first post

Last edited:
link for the rising sun cruise Moab 2022 thread:

Last edited:
Haven’t spoken with anybody from rising sun. I am going off the dates that they put out for next year.
It would suck if they changed the date after they posted a date. It would have been better if they posted a to be determined date if they were thinking about changing it.

I guess I will reach out to them to find out what’s up.

Thanks for the heads up

Yes, I see that all the public facing info has the dates you listed and that's what I have been operating on as well. I heard this from a RS member and seeing the Spanish Trails calendar has me questioning what's out there. Sorry to add some confusion, just trying to make sure folks can plan accordingly!

Depending on my work load, and my cruiser readiness, I may shoot for this. With what's going on with the cruiser though and my work load from the last 16 months as an example flying down to meet you guys would be more realistic on my end.

30 + hours of driving is a LOT of fun :)

Been a few times with the nissan and the cruiser crowd. I would highly encourage at least one or two times with the Cruise moab folks and then go on your 2nd or 3rd time on some of the longer overnight trails, and mine trails. Commend the Cruise Moab folks for squeezing so much into that week, but there is so much more that the group trips dont touch that deserve a drive when you have had your fill of the group runs.

Attach3628_20160504_140232.jpg

Attach3630_20160504_140322.jpg

IMG_20160503_184944.jpg

IMG_20160503_185427.jpg

That be cool

FYI:
You must be a TLCA member to attend. Unlike rubithon, rising sun doe not include TLCA membership registration combined with the event registration.

Some more planning considerations.

Vehicle maintenance- tow rig, trailer, Toyota
You know the deal. You can’t plan for everything but you know your rig and travel days can be harder on rigs than trail days in my opinion. So start ensuring your junk is ready to go now. Again, you can’t plan for everything and we all understand that but by getting your rig ready it def lowers the risk of breakdowns.

Spare parts - tow rig, Toyota
Again, can’t plan for everything but ideally you know what spare parts you need to bring.

Spare tires - tow rig, trailer, Toyota. With ability to change tire.

Tools- bring basic tools for your junk. Some of us with more room will more likely be carrying more tools.
My plan is to bring a few more tools than I usually bring and of course you are more than welcome to use them.

Recovery gear- vehicle recovery points, a strap and a way to
Attach it x 2 at a minimum. I will be bringing additional recovery straps that we all can use.

Camping gear- you know what you need. A suggestion is that we don’t have all carry the same crap all the way there and all the way back.

For example. My camper has a stove and I will also have the black stone griddle that everyone is welcome to use. I will also be bringing the big ONSC canopy for some shade of it doesn’t interrupt the club using it.

Communications /Ham radio ?!?!?- I am going to put in the effort to get my ham license before the event. Maybe you should also, but it is not a requirement unless the cruise Moab event staff require it ( I will confirm). There really is no excuse to not test for the dang license and I am as guilty as everybody else for putting it off. Either way you will need an ability to Communicate for the event. Also, in case of an emergency the cell phone coverage is sketchy at best out there on some of the trails.

^ As much as I like ham radio and I think the trend is GMRS it looks like Cruise Moab is still CB. If anyone wants help/advice getting a ham radio or license I'm happy to help like others here. Lots of good new higher power GMRS radios coming out too but sounds like those aren't accepted everywhere yet.

Cruise Moab website is pretty clear how much they like CB. I'm a pretty big fan of the Midland 75-822. It's all build into the handset, so no box under the seat or installation. Just plug it in the cigarette lighter and antenna (like a Little Wil) and you're good to go. Easy to swap vehicles and comes with a battery and small antenna to turn it into a handheld.

All vehicles are required to have a CB radio.

• Preferred setup: installed CB radio with an external antenna.
  • If you have a hand-held CB units, please buy the 12-volt DC cord so that the battery won’t go dead halfway through a trail.
  • “Family-band” radios will not be acceptable at all.
  • Please take this seriously. If your CB radio is not working when you meet for a trail run in the morning, it is likely your trail leader will not permit you to run the trail with the group. A good CB radio setup costs about the same as one medium-size tire. Spend the money and get something decent, and make sure it’s wired up and working well before you leave home.
  • There is a good, expensive CB shop in Moab. If you show up to tech inspection with no CB radio, plan to spend a bunch of cash and your entire afternoon at the Moab CB shop.
Please note: If you have a Ham radio, you also must have at least a hand-held CB, since most trail leaders will not have Ham. (We love amateur radio, but we recognize that only a small portion of our attendees will have it).

Thanks Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom