Cruise Control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMT

Threads
Has anyone had the cruise control disengage when going up a steep hill in 3rd at full or close to full throttle? The first time I thought I may have tapped the brake but the other day I know I wasn't even close. Could it be the stress on the throttle cable at WOT?

BMT,
The cruise on your 80 and on most vehicles has an auto shut-off when those conditions are met. Basically when the electronics are calling for more speed, it's at WOT, tranny kicked down, and the cruise speed cannot be reached within a certain period of time.

I lived in Wyoming for a few years and this would happen frequently on relatively flat interstate. The wind BLOWS in Wyoming!!!
-B-

B,
Please excuse my ignorance. WOT = ??
I have had on occassion, where the cruise control will not engage, the indicator light will flash, then shut off.
Haven't had time to look in to it yet.
Eduardo

dont worry it hapens all the time on my pig since I added the 33"s. the cruise will disengage if it can not keep up iwth called for speed. I think if memory serves that if you fall 8-10 mph below the called for speed on the cruise unit it will shut itself off and then you have to reset the on/off switch. other problem areas are if teh brake fluid sensor or any part of your brake system trips it will shut down the cruise.
hope that helped.
Dave :beer:

Eduardo,

>> I have had on occassion, where the cruise control <<
>> will not engage, the indicator light will flash, <<
>> then shut off. <<

Mine has done this twice in 2 years but I don't use the cruise a lot. Both times it worked fine after turning off the key then starting it again (stopped of course.)

-B-

Hltoppr...I think I will just deal with the cruise kicking off every now and then. :D

The shut-down is a result of the vehicle speed dropping too far below set speed. It is normal and happens if the speed drops around 9 mph or so.

The blinking results from a trouble code being detected by the cruise ECU. Shutting the vehicle off clears the code. A brake fluid resevoir hovering at the low level mark will do this intermittently as the fluid sloshes about.

Regards, Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom