Cruise Control Code 12 and Contact Points (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting Code 12 in the CC.
"overcurrent (short) in magnet clutch"
"open in magmet clutch circuit for 0.8 sec"

I removed the cover to the actuator and saw that the contact points only opened the contact when I turned the arm. See pic.
When the arm is at rest, the contact does not open the circuit but it does open it when I turn the arm.

Not sure what I was doing but I bent the arm so that the circuit would be open when the arm is at rest.
Should the circuit be open at rest?

I put the actuator back on the vehicle and cleared the code but still get code 12.

The magnet clutch does work when I test it with a battery.

Should I unbend the contact so that the circuit does not open when the arm is at rest?
Should I be looking for the porblem in a nother place?
CC Actuator.jpg
CC Actuator 2.jpg

I have never had one of these apart so take my comments with a cruiser sized grain of salt. Might it be that that contact is fused? When I look at the range of stroke on the contact/gear assembly, it looks as though there is not enough rotation to the left. Its almost as though a gear tooth or two have been skipped. However, from how it is assembled that it is unlikely that this could have happened on its own. Could it have already been apart and reassembled incorrectly?

Karl

PS. Nice pics

It would not of been worked on in the last 5 yrs.
The two strikers on the arm is made of soft metal. My thinkin is that it may of just slowly over time bent.

give it a try. IIRC that is what my unit needed. If it doesn't work bend it back and you're no worse than you are now.

If this is the problem I can see how it would happen.
The striker that I think is bent is the one that is under load from the spring.
Every time you cut the CC the arm is pulled back by the spring thus it is slowy bent over the past 13 yrs and 287,000 mi.

Problem not solved.
Either I have more than one problem or the at rest contact should not be open.

Drove it again and it way out or wack now.
I turn on and set the CC and it cuts out and the crusie light flashes and turn off.
I will bend the striker back to see what it does.

I turn on and set the CC and it cuts out and the crusie light flashes and turn off.

Besides the usual diagnostics, there are special codes you can pull when it does this. I think you have to pull them before you shut off the engine or they are erased; check your manual.

Disclaimer: The above applies to my 91; may or may not apply to your year.

Curtis

I bent the contact striker back to where it was and tested the actuator and the actuator passed.
Drove it and it cut out as soon as I set the cruise and still get code 12.

I took apart the wifes Camry CC actuator and got cought taking apart her car...
Anyhow, I should of left the striker arm bent as there is a small gap when the arm is at rest.

Now to find the real problem. It could be related to the striker arm or it may not.

I found a/the problem at least with the cutting out of the CC.
The I tested the stoplamp switch. It tested ok at first but when I tested it again and again while moving the plunger back and forth I would loose currant.
There is a short in the CC part of the stoplamp switch. With the plunger pushed in all the way I could move it back and forth and lose currant.

When I took the switch out I thought it was a cheap aftermarket part as the nuts on it were not metric and there was no marking on the part other than a short number.
I checked the 96 Camry and its brakelamp switch is the same blue part.

Is the cruise controll a US add on? Why wouldn't the nuts be metric?

As I will replace it, do I need to go Toyota or will Napa work for this part?

Went and got a Wells brakelamp switch. Its got to be good, its made in Italy :cool:

Installed it and...its bed time:frown:

Any of you lads got a copy of the wiring diagram and codes for the cruise control for a HDJ81 JDM...??

I'm in Oz and i can't get access to the techinfo site....

The switch is on the brake pedel. It is blue and has a threaded post with 2 nuts.
Look under the dash at brake pedel and you will see a blue thing with a plunger on it.
If this doesn't help I will post a pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom