Cross-Country Road Trip, West -> East (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I am going to be taking a solo "Great American Road Trip" in the few weeks from one coast to the other. As such I could use some good stops along the way, any cruiser mechanics, and general timelines for people who have made this trip before.

I have an 80 series on 35s, stock gearing, full armor and a loaded trailer + Roof top tent

I am moving a large amount of my stuff as well since this is a short term living change so I am unable to leave my truck unattended for long periods of time.

I will be attempting to complete the trip in 3 days, and giving myself 10 days total but I must arrive by June 1st

I will be taking the I-80 corridor literally the entire way across the country from CA -> NY/NJ

Things I am looking for:
- Places to park and pitch the RTT to save on hotel room costs
- Good stopping points for breaks
- Estimated route times
- Fuel costs
- Must-stop food places
- Cruiser friendly shops in case of breakdown
- Areas to avoid and not stop

Finally I have a set of FJ60 fenders for sale that I can bring and sell to someone on the east coast who needs them, you pick up.

So as such, let me know!

Have fun Kyle. post lots of pictures. When are you heading out?

Should be exciting, wont be posting much but Ill fill you in. Heading out around the 11th or 12th

Things I am looking for:

- Fuel costs

How much yew got?

the-difference-between-a-hillbilly-and-a-redneck-ang-body-image-1461704040-size_1000.jpg

Post up in some of the Club forums thats what I did in 2008 Great response. Their are some good guys in Iowa Tall Corn Cruisers, Colorado, when you get back east Yankee Cruisers. Have a Great trip and make sure you post up lots of pics.

FYI as far as camping and feeling secure. I bought a cheep baby monitor ( battery operated ) throw it in the truck and have the monitor in the tent or Hotel room with you. Cheep and a good way to know your stuff is safe

I'm in south eastern CT so not 100% sure what I can offer but ask away!
Felicity

@KWalkerM if your run into issues in eastern Wyoming (Laramie/Cheyenne area) hit me up. I am about an hour South of there in Fort Collins (Northern Colorado) or if you want to shoot down and grab a beer that would be cool too!

Trying to recall a few places along 80 from my days as an over the road truck driver...

I would say you're realistically going to make it into Wyoming on day 1. Thermopolis has a great couple of camp spots on the river in the canyon. I've stayed there on trips up to Yellowstone. Past there, I'd say next best would be between Laramie and Cheyenne on the pass. Good camping up there. Ogallala, NE has Lake McConaughy with plenty of beach camping. After that, you're going to be into the Midwest. You're best off doing rest stops, or pulling off on smaller roads to pop the tent. Perhaps RV camps? Then you've got the south shore of Lake Michigan. Beaches and dunes, but wear shoes. Last time I was out there I stepped on glass. Honestly, not much experience with seeking outdoor camping further East than there, but I'd be blown away if you couldn't find some degree of camping close to the highway. Lots of State and National forest along 80 in Pennsylvania. Allegheny specifically.

If it were me, I'd bank on Wyoming for night 1, Somewhere along the Mississippi for night 2 and Pennsylvania for night 3 if you're planning a 3rd night.

Have a blast!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom