Creative engine block heater idea (for cold climates) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Though I'm now in the desert, I have a block heater, magnetic pan and battery blankets. The block heater works wonders on sub-zero days. I did have a HG problem though, PM'd. I have no indication either way if the block heater and Toyota Red had any contribution.

Back when I was in the cold, all I used was Prestone 65/35 mix, never failed me even in minus 67. It was so freaking cold that the heater was not putting any heat out.:beer:

Back when I was in the cold, all I used was Prestone 65/35 mix, never failed me even in minus 67. It was so freaking cold that the heater was not putting any heat out

that will happen when the coolant turns to slush in the heater core and no longer circulates :D

that will happen when the coolant turns to slush in the heater core and no longer circulates :D

Oh no, the coolant/antifreeze mix was fine, it was just plain too cold, at that temperature we have to keep the engine running, the radiator covered. It only happened when we went snowmachining in the mountains. :beer:
Fairbanks -62.jpg

I can attest to a light bulb working. Kinda related but not really.

I have been gone for work a lot and not able to clean the house so my wife decided to hire a cleaning service to come out every two weeks...because she sure is **** isn't going to clean anything :flipoff2:

And I thought it was only mine that had the "I don't do" complex. IE I don't do windows. I don't do toilets. I don't do dishes. I don't do laundry. :bang:

25 years of Alaska winters, bush living and Cruisers.

Trust me a light bulb will be pointless.

Freeze plug heaters are 400-600 watts. all the electricity is converted into heat. inside the block. Tank heaters commonly go as high as 1500 watts. They loos a lot to ratiation. But again, it is all heat... not LIGHT.

A 100 watt light bub under your engine will be like pissing on a forest fire. Can't hurt. Won't help.

At any temps cold enough to need to warm the engine... the light bulb will feel cold to the touch. Probably even freeze water on it.

Mark...

I never used the light bulb myself, my neighbor used it, but it was one of those infrared heating lamps, it seemed to work, not as good as a heater meant for a vehicle, but it did the job. Like I said earlier I had heaters all over my 40, however the favorite was the space heater in the cab.:D:D:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLXTACY
I can attest to a light bulb working. Kinda related but not really.

I have been gone for work a lot and not able to clean the house so my wife decided to hire a cleaning service to come out every two weeks...because she sure is **** isn't going to clean anything :flipoff2:

And I thought it was only mine that had the "I don't do" complex. IE I don't do windows. I don't do toilets. I don't do dishes. I don't do laundry. :bang:
Mine name is "AP" .... and I am an abused husband too.:D My wife will actually do dishes .. that is to say .. she can put them in the dishwasher! But NO pots and pans, nor toilets, nor laundry - I did see her try to wash a window once - now the kids do that. Her mother is a great cook!! Is there a reason why bitch and witch rhyme? I think soooo!!

I have used a hair dryer set on low to warm aircraft engines overnight. This was with a fully plugged cowl, upon startup the oil temp was a nice 70 deg. The outside temp was 15deg. The HUGE difference is that the engine cowl on this particular aircraft was fully enclosed. I personally don't see a way to do this to a LC.

I would have to agree with most on this subject, get a block heater and call it good.

I have used a hair dryer set on low to warm aircraft engines overnight. This was with a fully plugged cowl, upon startup the oil temp was a nice 70 deg. The outside temp was 15deg. The HUGE difference is that the engine cowl on this particular aircraft was fully enclosed. I personally don't see a way to do this to a LC.

I have done this with an ATV. Wrap it up tight in a tarp and put a pair of 1500 watt hair dryers under the tarp. Pointed right at the carb. It definitely works. but that is 3000 watts of power, not 100. and there was virtually no air space left and no circulation inside the tarp. I would leave it like that for about 3-4 hours or sometimes all the way through the midnight shift so that the ATV would start in the morning at -35F to get home.

Mark...

Plugged right into the wall at the government building I was working in. Didn't blow the circuit so I guess it was rated high enough :) Getting home in the morning without walking was my concern, not the electric bill :)

Mark...

I live in Northern Canada and drive a diesel Land Cruiser: Block heater is the best way to get heat to an engine. Period.
Recirculating coolant heaters are ok (called a "tank-type coolant heater" elsewhere in this thread) but can lead to the early deterioration of the hoses they are attached to (make sure the heater's heat valve is open fully so the coolant can move and you aren't just heating up a short stretch of heater hose). Magnetic pan heaters lead to problems with the oil (heat at one point, oil doesn't circulate). Neither of these latter two are seen as anything but a band-aid solution up here. If you have a diesel, diesel fired heaters are excellent but costly. Webasto makes them I think, used by the millitary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom