Crawl space issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I believe that I moisture in my crawl space. I have noticed that my hardwood floors have started to seperate in a few places and it seems that the floors are pushing out. Has anyone had this problem and who did you use? I know that I need to close/shut all of my vents and going to check the vapor barrier. David do you do this sort of thing?

I've run into this alot down here.
What the contractors that I mention this to here are saying is to remove the floor insulation. You can try some foundation vent fans first, but with the high humidity down here,the insulation holds moisture in the floor, even with the vapor barrier.
I pulled most of mine out, and my dad pulled all of his out.
Try the vent fans first and see if that works.

I believe that I moisture in my crawl space. I have noticed that my hardwood floors have started to seperate in a few places and it seems that the floors are pushing out. Has anyone had this problem and who did you use? I know that I need to close/shut all of my vents and going to check the vapor barrier. David do you do this sort of thing?
I'm having the same problem. I have been told to take all of the insulation from under my house. I do have a vapor barrier down. Also, I have been told to put a dehumidifier under the house too.

BBQ, I don't think I would take the insulation out unless you want a high electric bill. Now the poly vapor barrier I would look at. I have a similar problem up here. The high heat and humidity is bad in Cola as well. I live on a hill so all the water runs under my house. I have french drains all around the perimeter that drain to a sump pump out the front of the house. However, I think the area still stays very damp and I believe I need to remove the poly barrier and maybe even install a fan. My floors are wavy.

Charleston, if you have cracks, remember that is from the wood retracting. If it buckles or cups that is from moisture. It sounds like your floor was laid with high moisture and when the air gets cold in the winter it retracts leaving nice cracks. If you don't have buckling or cupping in the summer I would leave it alone. It's just the nature of owning wood floors.

Jeremy

My floors are wavy and are separating in front of the forward facing vents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom