Crank but no start (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need help. My son was given a 99 4Runner with 205k from his grandma that sat for a year. It was 450 miles away from our home. When I first went to pick it up is had a misfire in cylinder 2. I took it to a mechanic up there and he couldn’t get it to misfire once I left. I had him change the timing belt, replace valve covers and replace the #2 injector just in case. He noticed a lot of sludge another cams. When I flew up to get it the second time all was good. I took it to get new tire and the oil light began flickering but would go away with acceleration. He replace the sensor. And it went away.

I began my 450 mile trek to my eager son at home. About 150 miles in the truck just shut off and all warning lights came on( like when you first turn key. No bang or high temp.. I rolled to the side of road (I was going 70). I turned off the key and tried to start it up. It started first try, no CEL. Ran perfect so I assumed I bumped the key some how ( it’s so worn key can come out while driving. ) I drove another 50 miles the the oil light flickered then after a few miles became solid. I pulled over for gas and to check oil. Oil was good.

I started it up after getting gas and it began to idle rough. It was ok at higher rpms but rough at idle. At this point I’m in the middle of no where so I pushed on feeling like I could limp the rest of the way.

I was wrong. 20 miles later engine shut off again. I thought I heard belt squeal for a half a second too. Coasted to side of road. Engine looked fine but now it would only crank, not start. Still no codes. Tow truck took me to a pep boys because most mechanics there were closed. They tested crank sensor, fuel pump (you can smell gas from cranking with no start). They were baffled and so am I. Having it transported to my home. Anyone have any ideas?

I’m not an expert on these but my LC has 222k and still running strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom