Crank breather catch cans - turboed HZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
Looking for advice on a catch system for the crank case breather on my turboed 1HZ. It has to be disconnected from the intake or the turbo will pressurize the block, or at least not allow pressure to vent if you added a PCV valve.

Currently I run a hose down behind the RH side tire venting to atmosphere like the 3B used to... I would love to install some kind of catch system, but have heard issues with backpressure that negatively affects the engine.

I also know that some will route that hose pre turbo but I did not want to introduce oil vapor into the intake as I want to be able to check the intake for oil to check the health of the turbo.

I am not getting any real blowby, but there is still a little oil drip now and again after longer trips or highway driving.

Thanks!

P.s. I did search, but wondering if any new solutions had been discovered.

I use the common provent setup, which some have had issues with, mine has been working fine. The other option that supposedly has corrected the issues with Provent is one called flashlube, that Georg sells.

@db3. Do you run the exit port to atmosphere or back into the intake preturbo?

I vented the exit port to the atmosphere. I might get an ounce of two in the catch can between oil changes, and I don't see any noticeable blow by, or any oil on the vent line discharge.

I just recalled I had to make up a couple of hose adapters using ½" copper fittings. I sweat soldered a short piece of pipe into a coupling and 90 degree fitting for the 5/8" hose, then used a short piece of 3/4" hose to the catch can ports.

IMG_7446.jpg

Looking for advice on a catch system for the crank case breather on my turboed 1HZ. It has to be disconnected from the intake or the turbo will pressurize the block, or at least not allow pressure to vent if you added a PCV valve.

Currently I run a hose down behind the RH side tire venting to atmosphere like the 3B used to... I would love to install some kind of catch system, but have heard issues with backpressure that negatively affects the engine.

I also know that some will route that hose pre turbo but I did not want to introduce oil vapor into the intake as I want to be able to check the intake for oil to check the health of the turbo.

I am not getting any real blowby, but there is still a little oil drip now and again after longer trips or highway driving.

Thanks!

P.s. I did search, but wondering if any new solutions had been discovered.

I've been using a generic (ebae imitation) provent 200 catch can/oil separator set up. I didn't want to spend huge bucks for the real Mann-Hummel Provent200 without knowing whether the setup would work for me. I eventually found a space to mount it in the engine bay, but it is a BIG unit. Much bigger than the steel catch cans you are usually accustomed to.
I also had to buy extra hoses since the ports on the provent 200 are 1" and toyota breather hoses are usually 3/4". I bought a lot of very expensive 1" ID hose, but in retrospect i might have been better buying some 3/4" to 1" fittings to put directly on to the can itself and sticking to 3/4" hose. It doesn't sound like a big difference, but the hose size difference in terms of overall diameter is significant. NB I run mine back to the intake, I don't do the whole atmosphere venting thing.
Some people plumb the return (bottom port 1/2") of the catch can to their sump, but I don't want that nast blow by oil contaminating my sump oil, especially since I have 2 gallons in there, I can spare the blow by oil. What I did was to run a long length of 1/2" I.D. hose along the chassis rail (about 2.5 feet) and fit a drain valve (brass pegler valve) to the end of the hose. This hose acts as my "catch can" of sorts, since the provent essentially just functions as a separator. Every month or two I drain the catch hoze and usually get 1 or 2 oz of oil out of it.

NB. In my case I had to silicone on the "relief valve" side of the provent because it was leaking a bit of oil. Your usual RTV black silicone seems to be holding up well for that purpose.

Overall, I spent more on hoses and fittings than I did on the actual imitation provent, which also makes you question my sanity, but everything is a learning experience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom