Craigslist Search Utility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wrote a little search utility to make my life easier when I was searching for my 80, shopping for lenses, etc. on Craigslist. I posted this some time ago on the 80 tech page. I waited until I finally got the initiative to get a domain name and get it linked with my server to make the announcement here. And I added a third search field. Anyway, here is the link:

States

There is a writeup on the 80s tech page on how to use it here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/243020-craigslist-search.html

Basically, I got tired of searching "Denver" for "Land Cruiser" and then "Landcruiser" and then "LX450" and then going and doing the same miserable thing for "Boulder" and then "Ft Collins" and then, well you get the idea.

This app lets you say what you want to look for and dispatches the queries and writes them back in one response. You can limit it so you don't have to see 56 when there are only a couple new ones per day. It also condenses the output with smaller font and packs the links a little which I like.

It will also let you search other categories other than cars, just look at the pulldown.

If there are any errors like some city doesn't work or Craigs has added a city since I last updated, go ahead and PM me and I'll fix it. Craigs has also changed the category variables from time to time so I have to tweak it every 6 mos or so.

Paul

Ive also sent a polite email letting them know its a free utility and is very helpful. Hopefully they unblock it.

I saw the "blocked" message on the McCumbers page today and sent an email. Hell, his engine helped me find my FJ40 in BFE Arizona...I have been using it ever since!

I love this thing and when I found it not working today I was bummed. I also sent a polite email asking that they unblock it.

email sent. I miss it already.

The AutoTempest and SearchTempest utilities are a nightmare. Needlessly complex, poor results, long learning curve. You're better off searching directly in CL or eBay. Sigh ... Nice while it lasted.

Sent an e-mail yesterday...

OMG NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Email sent!
I use this EVERY DAY!!!

"This is a free service to make your awesome site all the better!
Please consider unblocking it!!!
http://www.themccumbers.com/States.htm
I dont know if I can continue living without it!!!!
Living in a rural area of Oregon...most of my craigslisting is done in the bigger cities.
This utility makes that quick and easy for me and others!!!

Please give it back to us!!!"

I hope this is reinstated. I too use it everytime I am on CL. Does anyone know of another that actually works like this one? (Not Tempest)

The AutoTempest and SearchTempest utilities are a nightmare. Needlessly complex, poor results, long learning curve. You're better off searching directly in CL or eBay.

Yes I agree

I, too, sent an email to Craigslist, asking that they please unblock this site..........anyone know of the reason they object to search sites like this one? It's curious to me, because it seems to me they benefit from these types of expanded-scope searches......

I think they feel that I am enabling more hits on their servers. And I am. But what they don't get is that people will still hit their servers but will waste considerably more time doing it because they have such a crapass front end.

I love the hippie, no money, peace-sign, egaltarian mantra and all but if you have Twin Turbo Supra and have to stick you GD foot out the door to move it, who cares?

If they let me at their APIs on their actual server, we could have something really clean and usable in ONE day for browsers, IOS, and Android.

And, and, and I never heard back from them. I guess you're picking up my vibe that I'm tired of them force-feeding their front end on us. Craig got BILLIONS in selling a non-controlling share to eBay and he don't care. None of them care because we still have to live with their stoopid front end.

Craig - put an API out to your data and open it! Seriously, quit being evil.

I was hoping this was just a glitch, but realized it wasn't when I saw your message. I sent an email today mentioning the advantages to having such a useful tool. I also let them know that I use an Android app on my phone that provides a similar service.

I am at a total loss now. This makes me sick to my stomach. Is there anything else that even comes close to this search tool????? Or are they all shut down?

i sent an email politely asking to re-instate. i can't go back to the normal cl search, its too clunky. loved the search RIP.

Thanks for not throwing your servers in the garbage because of what you have had to deal with. I use your search almost everyday and have bought and sold more items than I can remember because of it. It saved me thousands!

Here is the letter I sent:

Dear Craigslist Caretakers,

I want to let you know that a search service for Craigslist that I use and highly value has been blocked. This is a free service that makes access to your listings convenient and simple, just like Craigslist itself. Unlike SearchTempest or AutoTempest it works without complication and has no advertisements
Please consider unblocking it.

The address is:
States

Living in a rural area of Montana most of my craigslist searching is done in multiple cities.
This utility makes that quick and easy for me and helps me purchase goods and check the market around me so that I can sell my goods at a fair price.

Please reinstate this search service.

Sincerely,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom