Cracked T-case repair? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am rebuilding a '78 transfer case and now I find it has a hairline crack started at the top on both sides where you would expect it to be. It's about 1.5-2 inches long. I see the case saver plates. Has anyone tig welded a cracked case with any satisfaction? Weld inside and out? I hate to junk the case because of the money to replace. :-\

I've known two guys who did just that (tig the case).....and ended up with the new "two piece" transfer case! :( It didn't hold up too long. The case saver is great for good cases, but already broken ones....not too sure on that. I wouldn't want to trust it if it was me...YMMV

I'd just spend the $30 and buy the saver. http://www.tcase.homestead.com/
Bag the idea of welding the crack regardless, I would think you'd weaken the surrounding aluminum having it welded up, being it isn't very thick.

I've seen empty cases go for maybe $30-50 on eBay from time to time, so you might want to check there also.

If you've already gotten deep into the rebuild I would get a new case. I guess when they go, there's a very good chance your gears will get torn up in the process.

IMO, you can weld it to be better than new...the alum bellhousing attaching my motor to my SM465 is welded....professionally. Basically, he drilled a hole at the end of the crack, cleaned the crack out and beveled it, then welded it from both sides. Stronger than stock. 5 years running of HARD use and no problems.

I wouldn't try it myself tho...my alum skills aren't good enuf!

Ditto to that. I used to work in a Hypo tranny shop and my boss used to weld bellhousings all the time. Never had one come back, and these trannys were run in bracket racers.

And there is no issues that the case is a casting? I can TIG the case if there is a reasonable chance of it holding.

If done properly, no prob. I'm not at my shop and I can't remember the rod number off the top of my head. Look it up and get the right rod for cast alum. If you aren't a good welder , do not attempt to learn on used Aluminum. Very porous and holds a lot of oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom