COVID 19 PROJECT - Bed Platform + Drawer/Cubby Storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why aren't you on the east coast! I would love this same setup but I can't build to save my own life.

Why aren't you on the east coast! I would love this same setup but I can't build to save my own life.
I've been playing around with the idea of selling them in precut and carpeted kits! They would just need hinges and drawer slides installed. You'd just need an impact driver to screw the parts together. I could price it all out if its something you'd be interested in. Cheers!

This is awesome! I love the design! I am no where near as skilled as you are so I bought a set of the KISS drawers Mk2 and added a fold over sleeping platform so it looks like this:

Drawers.jpg
DrawersFolded.jpg

I do like your hatch design! Very cool!

I've been playing around with the idea of selling them in precut and carpeted kits! They would just need hinges and drawer slides installed. You'd just need an impact driver to screw the parts together. I could price it all out if its something you'd be interested in. Cheers!

If I haven't bought mine yet, I would have taken your offer. But just in case I might need one for my T4R, how much what it be?

IMG_20190927_132202_03.jpg

I like how you did this. Mine is somewhat similar, just with full length drawers.

IMG_20190927_132202_01.jpg

I put the drawer edge in front of the finished top, which I may go back and change. It's worked well so far. I also put my hinges under the carpet as I've done on other setups like this in an effort to "hide" the drawers more from prying eyes.

My next step is to add drawer locks, but this stuff all takes time. The two part "wings" on the sides of yours are something I like. In hindsight, I would have liked to put a small "cubby" opening on the front, about one foot long. When I have things loaded in on top of the drawers I can't get into the side cubbies where I have less used items stored.

Very nice fit and finish on your set.

Last edited:
If you decide, I am seriously interested in your system, I will just have to figure out how to hinge a sleeping platform over the back seats...your work looks awesome.

If you decide, I am seriously interested in your system, I will just have to figure out how to hinge a sleeping platform over the back seats...your work looks awesome.

I posted mine up above but a 2’x4’ precut piece of Baltic birch from Lowes and a piano hinge works perfect for this.

@Treebeard in your design, what are you using to elevate the rear deck so that when the drawers extend they don't contact the tailgate?

When I was building my drawers I did not see this being a problem initially. I ended up shimming it with drywall shim strips until I got the right angle and then removed the drawers, measured the thickness of the shims and cut ended up putting 5/8" x 3" x width of drawer strip across the bottom.

Beautiful.. Wish I had the skills and the tools to make this. I have been wanting this for my cruiser for a while now.

View attachment 2247555

I like how you did this. Mine is somewhat similar, just with full length drawers.

View attachment 2247573

I put the drawer edge in front of the finished top, which I may go back and change. It's worked well so far. I also put my hinges under the carpet as I've done on other setups like this in an effort to "hide" the drawers more from prying eyes.

My next step is to add drawer locks, but this stuff all takes time. The two part "wings" on the sides of yours are something I like. In hindsight, I would have liked to put a small "cubby" opening on the front, about one foot long. When I have things loaded in on top of the drawers I can't get into the side cubbies where I have less used items stored.

Very nice fit and finish on your set.

Super clean setup you've got there. I really like the look of your drawer handles 👌🏼.

I had my previous rig broken into last year and vandalized. That experience was my primary reason for adding a locking storage solution. Keeps the gear out of sight and somewhat safe.

As for the drawer clearance - I used a sheet of 3/4 as the foundation for the box/drawer unit. Buiding my drawer walls of the 3/4 foundation, and using bottom mount slides gave me plenty of clearance. I would highly recommend using Blum slides for any inset drawer systems. They offer a lot of "final touch adjustments" once the drawers are installed.

Blum Drawer System- TANDEM

Last edited:

Cheers! I'm working on pricing this week. I'll post details once I get things all sussed out. Adding a folding sleeping platform shouldn't be much trouble.

Have any of you, that have built drawer systems, removed the cargo area seatbelts. If so, was it difficult. It just seems that they get in the way and bang around when they come loose from the clips.

For those asking - here is a rough breakdown of my build process and materials used.

Box Dimensions-
COVID 19 PROJECT - Bed Platform + Drawer/Cubby Storage

Box Build-

Start with a 40"x 42" piece of 3/4 ply as your foundation. Cut and box out the sides, drawer box and interior dividers with 3/4 and a pocket hole jig. Measure your lids and drawer face taking into account some tolerance. Finish height should be 10" to match folded seatbacks.
Make your drawer to fit your slides and boxed out space. This part can be a little tricky, so measure twice, read the install instructions for your slides, and test fit along the way.

Cutting the Wings-
This part is a bit time-consuming. After you have built your storage box, center it in your trunk. Then pull measurements from the box lid to your truck's interior plastics. Using a piece of cardboard, cut out your rough dims. and test for fit. With scissors and a little artistic eye, trim your cardboard into a fitting "wing" template. Transfer the outline to your ply and cut it out using a bandsaw or jigsaw. Sand for final fit.
The same goes for the drawer face wings.

Supporting the wings-
I cut some 45˚ braces out of my scrap 3/4 ply to hold and support the wings from below.

Hardware-
TANDEM
Really nice push-to-open bottom mount slide system.

Everbilt 90-Degree Surface Mount Hidden Spring Cabinet Hinge (1-Pair)-H01068E-NP-CP - The Home Depot
These things are epic! I used them throughout my build.

Everbilt 1 in. x 1 ft. Webbing Strap, Black-810146 - The Home Depot
Nylon for handles. Keeps things super durable and noise-free.

The Build-
Kreg 8.25 in. Mini Jig Pocket Hole Kit-MKJKIT - The Home Depot
What I used for the majority of my assembly. This is a must-have jig system.

Kreg #8 1-1/4 in. Square Maxi-Loc Head Coarse Zinc-Plated Steel Pocket-Hole Screw (100-Pack)-SML-C125-100 - The Home Depot
Screws.

Foss Hobnail Granite 6 ft. x 8 ft. Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug-CN19N32PJ1H1 - The Home Depot
Indoor/outdoor carpet. I used Gorilla Glue Spray adhesive.

Everbilt 3/4 in. x 96 in. x 0.050 in. Aluminum Thick Angle-802527 - The Home Depot
Aluminum edge bumpers to keep the carpet down and allow for protected gear loading. Its a pain, but id recommend countersinking each hole after you pre-drill. Keeps your screw heads nice and hidden.

Baltic Birch Plywood B/BB 4x8 Rotary Cut, Veneer Core 13 ply 18mm | Plywood Company Texas
It ain't cheap, but this is what I used for my build. I had it in my shop from a previous project. I think you could get away with a lower ply count option. 13ply is a bit excessive.

Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X 12 oz. Semi-Gloss Black General Purpose Spray Paint-334097 - The Home Depot
I sprayed all of my panels to seal them from any damp gear ill be hauling around. It also looks great on the drawer face, you just gotta layer those coats to get a good finish.

IMG_8017.jpeg

IMG_8016.jpeg

Last edited:
@Treebeard in your design, what are you using to elevate the rear deck so that when the drawers extend they don't contact the tailgate?

When I was building my drawers I did not see this being a problem initially. I ended up shimming it with drywall shim strips until I got the right angle and then removed the drawers, measured the thickness of the shims and cut ended up putting 5/8" x 3" x width of drawer strip across the bottom.

The LX I bought has a tailgate cover that's really chewed up from the budget drawers hitting the tailgate as they slid in and out. It can really ruin that cover. It's just a matter of angling the drawer slides or starting with more clearance. Lots of people seem to aim for the lowest starting point and then hit the tailgate and shim up. I suggest just starting high and avoid the whole issue.

Have any of you, that have built drawer systems, removed the cargo area seatbelts. If so, was it difficult. It just seems that they get in the way and bang around when they come loose from the clips.

I've always left them in. They sit suspended and out of the way, for 99% of the time. I think they actually rattle more if you try to use the factory clips. The factory clips have always puzzled me. They're not located where they should be to really hold onto the belt. Bizarre design choice from Toyota.

Very nice build. Are you open to pre fabricating & then in person pick up. Once things return to normal ofcourse?

After looking at material cost, using the same premium 3/4 Baltic Birch 13ply and swapping out the drawer slides for something a bit more heavy duty (20” side mount slides with a load limit of 250lbs) - rough cost would be around $1,200 per kit. That includes all the hardware, carpet, aluminum trim, lock, anchor bolts, and nylon strap handles. I’m looking into having the system CNC’d into interlocking pieces for easy assembly. Painting the wood and glueing of the carpet down would be up to you.

The 20” drawer slides would split the storag just about 50/50. Half drawer and half cubby.
If anyone is interested, hit me up with a DM!
Shipping cost not included.

Cheers!

After looking at material cost, using the same premium 3/4 Baltic Birch 13ply and swapping out the drawer slides for something a bit more heavy duty (20” side mount slides with a load limit of 250lbs) - rough cost would be around $1,200 per kit. That includes all the hardware, carpet, aluminum trim, lock, anchor bolts, and nylon strap handles. I’m looking into having the system CNC’d into interlocking pieces for easy assembly. Painting the wood and glueing of the carpet down would be up to you.

The 20” drawer slides would split the storag just about 50/50. Half drawer and half cubby.
If anyone is interested, hit me up with a DM!
Shipping cost not included.

Cheers!

Just a heads up, I think you might get dinged for this without being a vendor - might be worth reaching out to a mod on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom