Cottonland Overland Opine Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We had some pretty bad flooding a week ago all the local creeks rose several feet in a matter of hours , the forecast was for flooding rain and it had rained quite a bit the previous days , we received up to 8 inches of rain in a fairly short time and those making the bad decision to camp near a creek paid dearly for that bad choice. This is a Chevy Tahoe from a local family that was pushed almost 5 miles down stream from their camp. They still haven’t found his camper or 4 wheeler. It’s a miracle no one was killed in this tragedy but they made it safely to higher ground .I feel horrible for it’s owner and post this just to stress the fact that these creeks in the ouchitas and Ozarks can rise very quickly. This one rose 12 feet in a matter of a few hours. So be very aware of forecasts and possible situations when camping in the area. We spent the day in the area yesterday and it’s amazing how much water had been down every creek we were near . Almost every ford had changed and some dramatically so don’t take it for granted a usual crossing is as it was last trip as it probably isn’t.
79F6BE27-0A99-4232-B787-984B1C7576CD.jpeg

Last edited:
If you want to do Mammoth Cave (which is awesome) make reservations. Don't just show up. There is a cool car ferry in the park too
Yikes, I’ll try to make some reservations tomorrow. Who knew?

Thanks Nolan. We got a reservation. Not on the day we wanted and not the tour we thought sounded best but we can work our schedule. Appreciate the heads-up

Because F the beach in July..........

I tagged alomg with Red on a trip to Destin she made fro work. While she was at meetings and in the spa this morning I took off and explored Eglin AFB. It’s a huge military complex where you can buy a $5 pass on line and explore wherever the gates are open.

I made a 4 hour, 100 mile loop of the east side. I highly recommend it when you are down here. I suggest 4WD due to deep water holes and loose sand. The Outback handled it all well but I blew off the front bumper in one super deep water hole. It popped back on but the inner fender will need new plastic tabs

7EFC02C5-D80D-4B60-AB4D-0D0031F24A68.jpeg

6E28170C-3C89-4E6B-B6C2-AF9E53C75926.jpeg

EF20C520-8509-4FDF-BC20-9B883B6AE088.jpeg

7B6B0CA9-D523-4983-B5DD-BAA06490FCAE.jpeg

10985161-17EC-4B55-AE95-ACE57E466C2E.jpeg

Took the excursion out on a little road trip to Flora Bama.
No issues with sand or asphalt.
Only had to put in low once when i filled up.
Nice little road side shack on the line.
Place called Flora Bama

Forgot to engage my map thingy
You’ll have to google it

Not many people so you’ll have free rein of the place.

They take plastic.

Over night parking is permitted i think

Waffle House down the street

Looks like some of you e a effers already found it

B01DD3FE-3E81-45E1-96B5-E32F614FE7C5.jpeg

I did not know they let adults in there. Did you have to pay a cover charge?
We don't act like adults when we are down there cause we don't have to. I'd like to take a cot in there and just stay the night. Beer and music is all I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom