Cottonland Overland Opine Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any good camping options on that route? Heading to Ark this weekend and would like to check that area out.

Nothing I was too crazy about. There was one nice creek along the way that would be cool.

There are some cool camping spots further north in the forrest. They are all over the place up there along the roads. Give yourself some time to wander around and I'm pretty sure you'll find one that's worth stopping at.

Any good camping options on that route? Heading to Ark this weekend and would like to check that area out.
JTU just be aware that muzzleloader season opens this weekend and a lot primitive sites may be taken and the overland event is at Byrd’s so there may be some traffic in that area as well.

JTU....if you run up 7 out of HS V take a left at Winona auto tour road (dont go that route) there is a metric ton of stuff to roam around that direction.

I head up that way alot for day trips.

Reactions: JTU
JTU....if you run up 7 out of HS V take a left at Winona auto tour road (dont go that route) there is a metric ton of stuff to roam around that direction.

I keep hearing that from different people. I need to head over that way next time I'm in AR... maybe around Thanksgiving. @theBROfessor ?

agreed Bomar, the Ouchitsa are really overlooked and have a ton of area to explore , great creeks and plenty of hidden camp areas to offer.

Took the 60 on its first camping trip this weekend. Only had two days so I made a quick trip over to Ouachita NF. I peeled out of Cleveland early Saturday morning to make it to Hot Springs for lunch. Since the 60 is still scratchless after paint I was avoiding any tight trails. I just wanted to put some miles on it and give it a good shake down road trip with the new suspension and differentials.

I drove up to Albert Pike area and pointed North until I found a nice spur trail to get me off a main road. Lucked out and found a spot by the creek to set my tent up. I wandered around the NF this morning for a few hours, about 60-70 miles of dirt roads. I was really surprised with how few of people I encountered. I think total for the two days I may have saw a dozen or so vehicles.
IMG_2676.jpg
IMG_2701.jpg
IMG_2733.jpg

@DirtRoads

I’ll bring this to the proper spot.

I read the page. When they talk difficult sections, are they taking two lockers difficult?

My need to check this out this summer

View attachment 1947829

I see that your interest is piqued. So here is my ramblings on that:

I am open/open with sliders and 33's with Tough Dog 2" suspension. That 4runner is stock besides the bumper and some Toytech suspension and sliders. I did everything on the KAT including a few hard sections with relative ease. That is after some pretty serious rain, with dry conditions I would have pretty high confidence. Full disclosure, there were some spots with potential for some body damage as there always is. It was easy for me because we had some pretty well built rigs for scouting/recovery. Every time I had trouble it was off of the KAT and on to side explorations like where that first picture was taken.

The only concerns are the sections over towards Harlan. One of my friends who was co-leading has done some wheeling over there and seemed to think that the hard sections there would be much harder than what we did. That being said, they usually have alternate routes so it's not like you're totally screwed. I'd like to have some sort of transmission skid and winch (still need to get with you on that) before returning.

Another thing to look at is the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway. This route is intertwined with the DBBB in some spots, but the DBBB is much shorter. CartoTracks has an excellent map of that route. It is an insanely scenic area, my expectations were exceeded.

I’m driving my daughter to Asheville and have a week to blow before I pick her up (counselor training)

May go explore the area.

I think a week would be just right for the entire loop.

Holy s***. What was that, like 90 trucks?
Dang that’s about 85 more trucks and a hundred more people than I want to be a part of...looks like a neat area though

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom