cost of a full build with a mechanic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i was wondering how much i should charge a friend for labor on doing a complete build of one these rigs. i put a 4 inch lift, a shackle reversal, rear disk kit, new brake and fuel lines through out, completely rebuilt motor, redone fuel tank, family cage installed, racing seats, new front and rear gears and lockers, new front and rear inner axles and bearings(what a bitch) what would you expect to pay someone for doing all this?
thanks

for a friend?

he'd better get his dead ass over and get dirty with me....then it's parts and beer....
my last locker install earned me a case of beer
my last suspension lift earned me four 6-packs of GOOD beer and a 1.75 of Korbel

Both helped...non-helpers pay $20 an hour...so far, everyone helps :D

ya i got some help here and there, but i wanna know like a ball park what like the cruiser guys charge for a whole package of work, they normally work by the job not the hour as i recall. plus i need the money being a college student having to fix my own dam chevy pick up.

Tell him to take out his checkbook, put an exponent of 4 on top of his initial buying pricetag, then spend the rest of his life trying to earn enough for that check :D

I usually go by the "pain in the ass" market value. If its a good friend of mine, i give em a hell of a break. Id say whatever you think your time and effort is really worth.

All that in a shop would probably cost you a pretty penny, and if hes really your friend and youd like to keep him that way you probably wont get that out of him.

As a former mechanic, my experience was that business and friendship don't mix well.

I used to do car audio and security and my going rate is usually $20.00 hr. For a friend i usually cut it in half and tell him to bring some beer, if its a really good friend just bring the beer and we will square up some other time or way.

I agree with pin head. If this was something you have already done for a friend, it's an "I owe you one" situation. Otherwise, do a set price and stick to it, discounted for a friend deal and yes, he brings the beer.

I charge $30/hr for side jobs and add in 10% for shop supplies if fabricating and welding. I am cheaper if its for a friend and they help out.

I think key is to state it up front what you will charge. Friends will always be disappointed if they don't have an expectation on cost going in.

ya thanks for the advance, im very well aware of how much all of this costs when one brings it in too like gary at mudraks. i jus wanted to get a rough estimate, im not gunna like charge anywhere near that, i just put a lot of blood sweat and tears into that car, and im not gunna be driving it or seeing it anytime soon once i give it back to him due to myself being in northern northern california and him in the yuppy bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom