Cooling flush questions. Search failed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 97 is due for a coolant flush and I have been searching the forum for the past 20 minutes looking for a thread that outlined a way to do it with a garden hose. I believe the pit bull lover on the board had posted pics of his set up?? I've got the FSM but it does not specifically cover how to flush (just drain) the coolant.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Search failed.....

Dan

Also:

Is it standard to replace the thermostat with each flush?

Its got Red in it so I am staying with OEM stuff $$ but do I need to use some type of flushing aid (solvent/surfactant)??

Thanks.

Dan

FAQ...

Quick version:

1. Buy the Prestone radiator flush kit.
2. Follow instructions on kit.
3. Read the FAQ for small details about draining the engine block and turning the heater on.

Hayes

Get one of these kits.(prestone flush and fill kit) You install an adapter in line with your heater core hose and put a special cap on the raditor that helps dump the flushed fluid into a catch can then hook up the garden hose and flush it out. As far as the thermostat. I dont regularly cgange them. You can run bioling water over it to see it it still actuates and that there is no gunk built up on it.

http://honeywell.co.nz/business/holts/prestone/flush.html

Last edited:
The special thingy that is supposed to fit on the radiator didn't fit on my '93.

Don't ignore its intent, though. Nothing like getting a green shower when the spurting fluid hits the radiator fan...

Hayes

Jerry rig

Hayes said:
The special thingy that is supposed to fit on the radiator didn't fit on my '93.

Don't ignore its intent, though. Nothing like getting a green shower when the spurting fluid hits the radiator fan...

Hayes
If you had an old radiator cap I bet you could drill a big hole in the top and install a fitting that you could hook a hose on to that would work.

drohweder said:
Is it standard to replace the thermostat with each flush?

No. Replace the themostat when it fails to function correctly or as PM ~100k miles. Be sure to replace the gasket at the same time.

drohweder said:
Its got Red in it so I am staying with OEM stuff $$ but do I need to use some type of flushing aid (solvent/surfactant)??

No. Flush with copious amounts of tap water then use 50/50 Toyo Red and distilled water. You can use any premium grade coolant so long as you stay away from the "DexCool" products that are so-called lifetime anti-freeze. Read the FAQ.

-B-

Hey Beowulf. How do you respond with a quote and only capture part of the statement? When I reply with quote it quotes the whole message.

Last edited:
Colorado Boy-74-FJ40 said:
Gee, this is easy. All I have to do is edit the quoted message and change it to say whatever I want. :lightbulb:

-B-

Got it

I figured it out. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom