Coolers... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

screw that -- just get a big ass cooler fill it full with beer and tell your buddy with the bigger truck (cargo area) to carry it for you. just make sure he isnt an alcoholic or get an extra case for him

you say "damn i got all this beer but we are gonna have to leave it here since it woulnt fit in the back of the 40"
they say "HELL NO!! I got plenty of room, just let me move some stuff around alittle"

problem solved and keep the sixer cooler and fill with your special recipe - crown & ginger in my instance

the 80's Toyota LE vans had a console cooler option that held a six pack and I'm pretty sure the Previa did too. I don't know if they were main AC cooled or had their own cooling units. I wonder if there's any chance of retrofitting one of them?

[quote author=customcruiser link=board=14;threadid=5818;start=msg46859#msg46859 date=1065109215]
screw that -- just get a big ass cooler fill it full with beer and tell your buddy with the bigger truck (cargo area) to carry it for you. just make sure he isnt an alcoholic or get an extra case for him
[/quote]

Another fine reason why you should always wheel with an 80 series, along with needing somebody to pull you out of stucks and help you stand your 40 back on it's wheels. :D

[quote author=Jim_Phillips link=board=14;threadid=5818;start=msg46789#msg46789 date=1065086393]
What you do is, put your cans of beer in a long sock. Wet the sock and then tie it onto your wing mirror. I promise you that as long as you keep the sock wet the beer will be cold. It really is very effective - even on a hot day in the Sahara - as long as you're moving.

Cold :beer: Mmmmm
[/quote]

I would love to try to explain that to a cop..."well, you see, there is this guy named Jim..."

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=14;threadid=5818;start=msg46437#msg46437 date=1064980341]
Here's the cooler gadget Bailey mentioned.
[/quote]

Hmmm, when I look at this I really wonder if it would be possible to take a stock console and do some 'mods' (with a dremel), pop in a small plastic tub, insulate around and then take one of the 12V units (the cheap ones) and make it work. If someone wants to donate a console, I'll try the mod! :D

Cheers, Hugh (sitting drinking his first scotch of the season - it's getting chilly)

Jim does, in fact, bring new meaning to the old expression about keeping all of yer "stuff" in one sock....... :beer:

D-

PS, How many could you get in an old gym sock? :rolleyes:

My suggestion (but not my idea) is a well proven method of cooling a drink. I'd be surprised if somebody here hadn't heard of it before. When I was running Safaris in Africa it was part of my routine to put some beers in a sock towards the end of the day and then have a cool one when we stopped. It's all to do with evaporation - somehow the beer temp goes well below the ambient temp - don't ask me how exactly. There was an Australian driver I worked with who had a canvas water bag he used to tie onto the bull bar - by keeping it wet the water inside was always cool - even in 100 degrees. There must be an Ozzy reading this that has seen this?

The cooler box is a typically hi-tech US solution. Didn't you spend a million $s inventing a pen that would work in space? I seem to remember that the Russians solved the problem by taking a pencil with them..

When your cooler is broken an you were really looking forward to a cold beer when you got back to camp, try my suggestion. Even better - someone out there where it's not winter yet give it a try and report back.

Cheers, Jim

yeah those canvas bags are cool as. they work hanging from the tent as well. f#@$ forgot what we call them though. used to use them all the time in the scouts.

hey don't go pinning this sensless burning of socks on me, i swear i'm not a sock hater

The canvas bag on the bullbar works with air passing over the wet canvas [water inside but sweats] as the car drives, cooling the water, [like having the fan on] similar principle to a coolgardie meat safe, or an evaporitive cooler.

But if you fill the canvas bag with water, put a sock soaked in petrol in it then drive at 200mph with it hanging from the rear view mirror while flames com eout of it, well.... thats another story........ :D :flipoff2:

coolgardie that's the name

Woody,
When I bought my 78, it had a igloo(?) center console cooler in it, it actually had 2 cup holders in the front too. It didn't look new by any means and I don't know if they still make it.

I'll dig through my parts mound this weekend and see if I can find it a take a pic for you.

Yo Han

Hey Woody!

Found it in the garage tonight. Here's some pix. It was made by igloo.... nothing fancy by anymeans... I'm not sure if they still make it, but it seems like a cheap & functional option. ;)

Yo Han

icebox1

icebox2

icebox3

Woody,
My crusher is in pieces rt now, but when I bought it, it had stock seats in it and it was wedged b/w the two.

Yo Han

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom