Cool box lid won't stay closed --- SOLVED **All credit goes to: lx200inAR** (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
SOLVED: See reply w/ pix from lx200inAR

*************************************************************************************************************************

Recently acquired a 2014 LX570 and my cool box lid keep popping off whenever I hit any slight bump on the road.
It seems like my lid locking lever is fairly loose and rattles (like weak spring retention).

Searched the forum and net extensively and couldn't find any similar topics on 200 series.
Anyone with similar issue or fix?
Does anyone know how to remove the locking lever mechanism?
It's all plastic and I don't want to break anything while trying to disassemble (if possible).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_9629.jpg

Last edited:
Mine was exactly like this when I bought it. It had also been “repaired” with Velcro tape many times rather than actually fixed. If yours is failed the same way mine is you are in luck.

On mine the hinges were loose, which is why the latch doesn’t catch. Pop off the panel on the back of the console (the one with the 2nd row vents). There are no screws just clips. The whole thing comes off from vent to floor. Pull firmly towards the 2nd row seat. Under that cover there are 4 screws at the top that hold the bracket the hinges for the lid are on. Tighten those screws and your problem should be solved.

C5D3511D-68FA-40CE-902F-C2F28F6662D4.jpeg

Mine was exactly like this when I bought it. It had also been “repaired” with Velcro tape many times rather than actually fixed. If yours is failed the same way mine is you are in luck.

On mine the hinges were loose, which is why the latch doesn’t catch. Pop off the panel on the back of the console (the one with the 2nd row vents). There are no screws just clips. The whole thing comes off from vent to floor. Pull firmly towards the 2nd row seat. Under that cover there are 4 screws at the top that hold the bracket the hinges for the lid are on. Tighten those screws and your problem should be solved.

View attachment 2870270
That’s pretty awesome!
I will try to follow your guidance as soon as I get off from my work!

View attachment 2870270
I had the same issue. I just went out and tightened the screws. Problem solved. Thanks

I had the same issue. I just went out and tightened the screws. Problem solved. Thanks
Awesome....once I finally decided there was definitely nothing wrong with any of my latch mechanism, it took 10 min to fix. I spent longer trying to remove all the stupid velcro tape and residue than I did actually fixing it.

Just checked my hinges and they’re rock solid with zero movement. :(
Search continues… sniffs
Any chance that the bracket is bent? Possibly someone elbowed it while the lid was up and bent something, so now the lid doesn't fall exactly where it's supposed to? My hinges were only the slightest bit loose and i went from not being able to latch ever, to perfect latch every time. All that to say, there isn't much room for error in where the lid needs to land to latch. From your pictures, i don't see anything wrong with the latch itself.

Any chance that the bracket is bent? Possibly someone elbowed it while the lid was up and bent something, so now the lid doesn't fall exactly where it's supposed to? My hinges were only the slightest bit loose and i went from not being able to latch ever, to perfect latch every time. All that to say, there isn't much room for error in where the lid needs to land to latch. From your pictures, i don't see anything wrong with the latch itself.

It seems like the hinges are fairly starlight with no sign of bent or damage.
However, the latch rattles pretty bad if I shake the arm rest top.
How's your latch? Does it shake a lot?
It feels like I have no spring retention on that latch.... :(

IMG_9905.jpg

IMG_9904.jpg

It seems like the hinges are fairly starlight with no sign of bent or damage.
However, the latch rattles pretty bad if I shake the arm rest top.
How's your latch? Does it shake a lot?
It feels like I have no spring retention on that latch.... :(

View attachment 2870653
View attachment 2870654

This part should definitely have a good amount of spring tension. If you are saying it just flops around, then you have found your trouble.

img_9629-jpg.2870173

Mine was the issue with the lid latch itself.
I think the spring got weaker over the time.
Now it rattles a lot and barely holding it until you hit the road bumps.

Took mine apart last weekend. That whole console vent cover thingy unclipped very easily just pulling toward the back of the truck. Those 4 screws were indeed all very very loose. I tightened them up, which as I did I could feel it pulling in the hinges tighter to the console. Been a few days since then and so far the issue appears to be fixed for me, the lid no longer pops open.
IMG_1561.JPG

Only thing I can't figure out is what is this little metal piece where it latches? Can somebody who doesn't have the issue take a pic of this part on their truck?

IMG_1563.JPG

Took mine apart last weekend. That whole console vent cover thingy unclipped very easily just pulling toward the back of the truck. Those 4 screws were indeed all very very loose. I tightened them up, which as I did I could feel it pulling in the hinges tighter to the console. Been a few days since then and so far the issue appears to be fixed for me, the lid no longer pops open.
View attachment 2885045
Only thing I can't figure out is what is this little metal piece where it latches? Can somebody who doesn't have the issue take a pic of this part on their truck?

View attachment 2885044
Glad you found a fix.
Not sure what that is but here's pic of my 14 LX and also my friend's 08 LC.

My LX
IMG_9636 (1).jpg

Friend's LC 08
IMG_9926.jpg

Glad you found a fix.
Not sure what that is but here's pic of my 14 LX and also my friend's 08 LC.

My LX
View attachment 2885099

Friend's LC 08
View attachment 2885100
Cool thx for that. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely missing some part on mine. The plastic portion where it latches looks the same though so I'm just gonna call my issue fixed for now. Glad I found this thread, my next option was to put some sort of child baby proof type of latch just to hold it closed

It looks like my problem is still unsolved... still pop open every time I hit the slight bumps on the road :(
Happened to check out my buddy's 08 LC and his armrest latch is rock solid without any free movement (good spring tension as well).
My latch is very loose and wobbly.
By looking at his 08 LC armrest latch area, I saw two screws that you could remove and probably gain access to the latch mechanism.
Anyone fixed or replaced the latch spring before?
The LX version is a little different and looks like the rubber plate is covering the possible screws underneath(?).

08 LC with good latch
IMG_9922.jpg

My 14 LX with loose / rattling latch
IMG_9628.jpg

Last edited:
Cool thx for that. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely missing some part on mine. The plastic portion where it latches looks the same though so I'm just gonna call my issue fixed for now. Glad I found this thread, my next option was to put some sort of child baby proof type of latch just to hold it closed
Glad you fixed the problem!

It looks like my problem is still unsolved.
I happened to check out my buddy's 08 LC and his latch is rock solid without any free movement (good spring tension as well).
My latch is very loose and wobbly.
By looking at this latch area, I saw two screws that you could remove to probably gain access to the latch mechanism.
Anyone fixed or replaced latch spring before?
The LX version is a little different and looks like the rubber plate is covering the possible screws underneath.

08 LC with good latch
View attachment 2885102

14 LX with loose / rattling latch
View attachment 2885101
Springs, I can see that wearing out. Good idea. Now how to disassemble your lid with the covered screws I am not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom