Convince me to buy an 80 in 2023 for my family of 7. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some of you guys must have really wide standards for individual space or really large children! We've had 7 in our 80 series for very long trips and everyone was comfortable and happy. The big kids step right over the back of the middle seat to get in and out.

We've also found 7 fit pretty well but have only done this irregularly and on short trips with minimal gear.

Maybe modern car and house size, etc. is the pendulum swinging back a little too far after many of us being cramped as kids?

For example, for much of my youth our primary hunting/camping truck was a Mazda b2000 with no extra cab. My father, brother and I regularly logged hours of travel with me riding on the lid of the center console or in the back of the truck (with a camper shell/top). It wasn't all bad but I have a pretty distinct distaste for being cramped and uncomfortable now and don't want to subject my kids to it. Sitting on the narrow, hard console lid with my head bent over because the ceiling was too close got old on the 4-5 hour drives we did a few times a year in that thing! I don't know WTH my father was thinking but it was a different era in many ways and mini trucks were commonly overused in my experience. Closest that I get to that discomfort at this point is flying commercial and I dislike and minimize that activity.

Fortunately the 80 is as close to perfect for our family of 4 that I can imagine and my discomforts as a kid only add to my enjoyment of it.

How many vehicles do you own? I would never trade a primary vehicle for an 80. I love the 80 but it's a toy and while I can daily it, I have three other reliable cars I can use when I can't.

If you have multiple cars then go for it, I'm debating selling our Subaru for a 60 series but the Subie is our 5th car...

How many vehicles do you own? I would never trade a primary vehicle for an 80. I love the 80 but it's a toy and while I can daily it, I have 3 other reliable cars I can use when I can't.

If you have multiple cars the go for it, I'm debating selling our Subaru for a 60 series but the Subie is our 5th car...
Does nobody read signatures anymore?

I have three vehicles listed. One of them is a dedicated family hauler/roadtrip machine, and it's not the Highlander.

Does nobody read signatures anymore?

I have three vehicles listed. One of them is a dedicated family hauler/roadtrip machine, and it's not the Highlander.

Signatures don’t load on mobile devices and there is an option within your profile settings that must be checked to display their signature.

I'm on the newer Sequoia boat...in terms of suggestion that is.
The 2008 to 2012 models look the best imo and they are big vehicles.
They also happen to be the #1 or #2 most reliable vehicle on the road, across all brands iirc.

Signatures don’t load on mobile devices and there is an option within your profile settings that must be checked to display their signature.
Fair point.

Yes, we have a minivan already that handles kids and roadtrips.

I'm on the newer Sequoia boat...in terms of suggestion that is.
The 2008 to 2012 models look the best imo and they are big vehicles.
They also happen to be the #1 or #2 most reliable vehicle on the road, across all brands iirc.
Yeah I've been thinking about Sequoias as well. The late first-gen models appeal to me because I happen to really like the style, and also 2UZ power.

:lol:

This ain't the good ole' days anymore. It's more of a s***show now.

Good to see you posting again, Lane. :cheers:
I clearly remember 'Mud being a s***show back then hahaha

What did I miss??

Last edited:
Get a second Sienna and put a lift kit on it if you wanna go off road with that many kids
AWD Siennas are hard to find with transfer cases that aren't failing. I test drove a couple before I bought mine (2WD second gen) and they all made expensive noises.

AWD Siennas are hard to find with transfer cases that aren't failing. I test drove a couple before I bought mine (2WD second gen) and they all made expensive noises.
Dang good to know. I’ve had two 2gen Siennas and a 1gen back in the day. They’ve all been FWD.

passenger safety plays a much bigger part in my vehicle choice

Don't get an 80 if that's the case. We all love our trucks but you'd have to be a fool to think these things are safe by today's standards. No airbags, roof pillars made of cardboard, lack of proper carseat attachments, the list goes on. There's nothing safe or practical about these trucks for family duties.

I wonder how 5 kids would fit in a mega cruiser.
I saw the one at the Heritage Museum a couple years ago. Pretty sweet. Only 4 seats though. I can just throw the rest in the back and strap one to the roof.

You should get a Suburban instead. The old 2500's have reliable drivetrains and comfortable seating for the whole family plus room behind the 3rd row for camping gear.

You should get a Suburban instead. The old 2500's have reliable drivetrains and comfortable seating for the whole family plus room behind the 3rd row for camping gear.
A 3/4 ton Suburban would be fun. Probably one of the only vehicles I'd consider that's not a Toyota.

OP should update the thread with a poll

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom