Converting US FJ60 to a 12HT... Why not Leave it 24v? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, Gary and Sheldon have the engine... Oh yes, it will be mine... It's 24v. Which means I'd have to buy a new 12v starter, alternator, AC clutch, VSV....

Instead of converting or retrofitting those parts to run 12V, why not make the whole vehicle 24V?

I was planning on rewiring anyway. I was going to use the painless wiring harness (heavy duty, waterproof) I'd have to change all the relays. BUt what about wiring? Would the voltage increase mean I'd have to go with a custom made harness with heavier gauge wiring?

ANd accesories.... I bet you can't get a 24V radio in the US.... Light bulbs?

What about the instrument cluster? Switches? I guess I'd have to order 24v batteries from somewhere? Can you get warn winches made for 24V? Is all this stuff more expensive than the locally available stuff?

I was thinking, it would be easier for me to get the parts I need from Canada or Finland where I have contacts and family, rather than dealing with Australia or South America...

So, would it be cheaper to convert the engine parts to 12V, or the rest of the truck to 24v? Or would it be break even either way?

Electrical stuff is my weak point.... I was going to bring in some outside expertise on the electrical stuff when I got that far, so if these questions are stupid noob ones, please excuse me.

And thanks in advance...

Fred

How about leaving the engine 24v and the rest of the truck 12v? Just run everything through a really good converter. Alternatively, swap the alternator for a 12V unit and use a series/parellel switch for 24v starting just like the HDJ81 does.

The wire guage can be smaller with 24V so you are going the right way with that. 24V radios are available. Some of us are using CAT ones because they are super durable.

I thought the easy way is the converter as said Lowenbrau .. get all 24V harnes and with a good converter to light and other things 12V.

Fred, as far as wiring size is concerned you're OK if you go to 24v. At 24v you have less amperage which means the wiring could be smaller!! Let us know how it goes as I'll be debating the same thing with the FJ45LV since it's engine will be from a Dyna or Coaster, both are 24v so far as I know.

why not built a setup like a stock HDJ80 : 24V starter and 12V everything else with dual batteries. 2 big solenoids and a careful wiring and you're ready to drive :D

fred;

starter; buy a 12 v Toyota reman 2L-T/LN starter $180 discount and bolt 12 motor to the 12H-T gear housing.

alternator: get the alternator from G&S and offer the 24 volt as core.

a/c clutch, the 60 series 12 volt coil may work, try it first otherwise they can be had new from dealer (I just bought a complete a/c clutch for $135 new from Toyota)

switches run 12/24 often.

rob all you can from the 2F if it fits...

I would never cross voltage wire a truck. for more starter power, add a second battery or buy a bigger single battery.

24 and 12 volts

I have a 62 vith 24 volt 12-ht engine. I added a 12 volt alternator and a third battery to power all the 12 volt accessories I wanted, the radio, amplifier, VHF- radio, mobile phone, aux-lights, interior lights, the cooling box and I even made the head-lights 12 volt.

Now I always have plenty power for all my 12 volt stuff and never have to worry about running out of power to start the car.

Then I have a 24 volt warn winch so you must be able to get them in the states as well.

Haffi

Can a 3B alt and a/c pump work for this application? I would just make new mounts for them..,,,,maybe I need help? :confused:

haffi said:
I have a 62 vith 24 volt 12-ht engine. I added a 12 volt alternator and a third battery to power all the 12 volt accessories I wanted, the radio, amplifier, VHF- radio, mobile phone, aux-lights, interior lights, the cooling box and I even made the head-lights 12 volt.

Now I always have plenty power for all my 12 volt stuff and never have to worry about running out of power to start the car.

Then I have a 24 volt warn winch so you must be able to get them in the states as well.

Haffi
Pictures of the mount? Custom or used existing parts?

Beast said:
Can a 3B alt and a/c pump work for this application? I would just make new mounts for them..,,,,maybe I need help? :confused:

The 2H engines that I've seen with A/C use the same A/C compressor as my BJ60 but the mount is totally different. Not sure on the altenator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom