Converting a 68 to disk brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I have a 1968 fj40 and I am going to put a 79 disk brake axle on it. All it is is the axle with the disks attached, no inards. So my question is can I take my axles and hub out of my 68 and put it in the 79 axles housing or do I need to buy new axles and birfields. I'm ingonorant in this subject so any help is greatly appreciated. I do know that I should be able to use the same 3rd member I currently have. Thanks

Chuck

Careful. '68 was a transition year and you may have the old ball and claw axles.
If so, you need all the axle guts from a new cruiser. Most folks who wheel their cruisers
upgrade to the fine-spline outers as well, and your cruiser will have the older 6 spline
birfs. If you end up with old '68 vintage brake stuff, let me know as I am a collector
of drum brake hardware.

Well do you have the new axles and birfields that will work for a 79 axle housing? Maybe we could work out a trade. And the actual build date was oct. 67. Also can I use my axles or do I have to swtich those out too.

rgentry said:
Careful. '68 was a transition year and you may have the old ball and claw axles.
If so, you need all the axle guts from a new cruiser. Most folks who wheel their cruisers
upgrade to the fine-spline outers as well, and your cruiser will have the older 6 spline
birfs. If you end up with old '68 vintage brake stuff, let me know as I am a collector
of drum brake hardware.
i've got two loaded backing plates and seven or eight drums.

Isn't there an issue with the side gears in the diff, too? JMO. get a later model axle to convert.

ED

Does the axle off the 79 have the 3rd member? If so your in good shape if not you will need to drill out the holes in the 68 to match the bigger bolt size on the 79,along with changing your spider gears(68 has course inners 79 have fine inners). Also I would recomend buying a complete mini front end and use eveything from the knuckle out or at least the spindles out. The spindles on any drum front end will not work with disk front ends the birf's have a different diamiter.This will only leave you with buying inner fine spline axles. and a set of spider gears.Put a locker in the front a forget about the spider gears. I have a set if you want them(spider gears).Also buy a axle rebuild kit and wheel bearings when you do this.

ok maybe the other option would be to buy the inards for the 79 and go from there. Can I use 411 gears in the 79? Wasn't that the year they changed them to 388? Would want to keep it 411 cause of the rear. So in doing this I would have to get: axles, birfields, a 3rd member, unless I can use the same one, and then new hubs, unless I can use the same ones I have on there now.

Went to SOR and pulled up a pic
http://www.sor.com/sor/cat080.tam?xax=24341&page.ctx=cat080.tam

Thanks

pretty sure you will need new birfs and inner axles. Either OEM or from Bobby Long. 68 "should" be ball and claw.....which wont work with the 79.

then can I attach my old hub to the new birfs and be done with it?

teapot said:
Does the axle off the 79 have the 3rd member? If so your in good shape if not you will need to drill out the holes in the 68 to match the bigger bolt size on the 79,along with changing your spider gears(68 has course inners 79 have fine inners). Also I would recomend buying a complete mini front end and use eveything from the knuckle out or at least the spindles out. The spindles on any drum front end will not work with disk front ends the birf's have a different diamiter.This will only leave you with buying inner fine spline axles. and a set of spider gears.Put a locker in the front a forget about the spider gears. I have a set if you want them(spider gears).Also buy a axle rebuild kit and wheel bearings when you do this.

I'm going to be going through the same thing with a '67 axle and an mini front end. If no one else wants the spider gears I'll take them. I KNOW I will need them.

CruisinTiger said:
then can I attach my old hub to the new birfs and be done with it?

No, the hub you have is for course splione birf's and will not work. Use your 3rd member off the 68 buy some inner axles . Again you will also need spindles and hubs, Start looking for a complete mini solid front end, they sell between 200- 300 on pirate and your done. You can sell whats left over to the mini guys for around 150(inners, knuckles, housing and 3rd)If you want my spider let me know or they are going to cruiser_guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom